1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

P500 Downloaded 10 mb data onto phone memory without my knowledge.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by arian10daddy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. arian10daddy

arian10daddy Lurker

Hi,
    Today when I started the 2G network in my phone, it just started downloading something from the net and saved onto the phone memory (and not the SD card). I think it was downloaded because it happened after I started the 2G network but there was no notification of something getting downloaded (wierd). Here is the actual scenario:
    My phone started to play up and 'GO Launcher' started force-closing on me (3 times in a row). I thought this is the memory issue with android, which is usually fixed with a phone restart. I restarted the phone and the 2G network was on. All of a sudden, my available phone memory started reducing from around 22mb to 18, then 17, then 16 mb and still kept reducing. I closed the 2G network and the memory still kept getting reduced. This stopped not before the phone's internal memory was left to a meagre 10 mb. I'm not able to find what files were downlaoded (if at all). Could it be a sort of virus (I know Unix can't have virus *rolling my eyes*).
    My phone is a P-500 with gingerbread.

Very recently installed apps are: CricBuzz (if it helps anyhow)

Is it possible to see the 'created date' (instead of 'modified date') of a file or folder in Astro file manager, so that I may get to know what files/folders were created to cause this issue.
    I'm totally lost here...

What more information can I give to get any help no this matter.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: The phone's internal memory just came down to as low as it can be... Right now it is ranging between 40-60kb!!! :'(
    I suppose it is nothing to do with any downloading. There must be some file creation and replication. I don't understand any other reason for such dramatic storage space loss...

1 query: What does the folder 'proc' store? There seem to be a LOT of folders inside it, many of them with 'last modified date' inline to the time when the space hogging goes on.

PLEASE HELP!!!

---------------------------

The available memory had become 40 kb and the phone restarted by itself while I was about to take my contacts backup... I was yet to take the sms backup...
    Now the phone wouldn't start... it has gone into a reboot loop... and has stuck on the 'ANDROID' screen!!! What should I do??? :'(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gremaldin

Gremaldin Well-Known Member

1. Lets say you install an app which has a 10MB apk. The apk is just a package, that stores the necessary files of the app, like an installation file in windows. Some of the files will be compressed and they will be expanded during the installation process, so we can expect the installation size to increase, lets say to 15MB. This is because of some files like dex files/dalvik cache, library files, etc. (Note that this is not always the case, some apps need just the apk to function). The app size can increase further because of app data and cache. I have noticed that app data increases with usage for some apps like facebook, so I regularly clear the app data of such apps. However, be careful when clearing app data of some apps like swype, because we loose our license and we have to get it all over again. Cache on the other hand is super safe to remove and can easily be cleared in many ways. So including data and cache, the app size may grow beyond even 20MB with use. There is no limit to how much space cache and data can take. So this could be how the memory in your phone decreased. Note that the data of some apps can increase without net connection. I always clear as much space in my internal memory as I can.

2. Android is not based on Unix, it is based on Linux. And Android is very much susceptible to malware.

3. If the phone is turning on, you can clear cache, uninstall a few apps and see if it helps.

4. Did you try factory resetting the phone? There is a key combination to do so (even if the phone doesn't fully boot), though I don't remember it. Note that you will loose all your apps, data, contacts, etc.

5. If you are a root user and you installed a custom recovery, you can try to clear cache from there. If that doesn't help, try clearing dalvik cache (I am 99% sure this is safe, but do this at your own risk). IF it still doesn't help, you'll need to delete all data (factory reset).

6. If you are too scared to do the above things, visit an LG service center. They will in all probability install the latest firmware version (which will result in loss of all apps, data, contacts, etc). You can try this yourself if you want, using LGMDP or KDZ updater, but be warned, there is a small chance of permanently bricking your phone.

LG Optimus One Forum

The LG Optimus One release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews