• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PAC Or Dirty Unicorn work?

I've been using PACman for a few months now and it's very stable. I tried AOKP and CM 10.1 before that and they were both good also. My only complaint would be that on CM and AOKP I would have GPS issues regularly; where it wouldn't connect for sometimes days at a time. PAC doesn't seem to have that issue for me. MMS and VVM work on all of them with the proper fix applied.

Upvote 0
I've been using PACman for a few months now and it's very stable. I tried AOKP and CM 10.1 before that and they were both good also. My only complaint would be that on CM and AOKP I would have GPS issues regularly; where it wouldn't connect for sometimes days at a time. PAC doesn't seem to have that issue for me. MMS and VVM work on all of them with the proper fix applied.
Thank you for the reply!!! Going to give it a shot. Do you have the fixes by any chance? And both work 100%?

I like the more options PAC has.

Now to figure out how to downgrade my modem to ICS...and whatnot, might put off for this weekend

Upvote 0
I've tried both PACman and Dirty Unicorns. IMO Dirty Unicorns is better organized and more stable. I'm currently using it as my DD.

I love Dirty Unicorn. Best 4.2 rom for this phone.

I have root! Now to get a recovery so I can start the flashing. I'm still on stock GB28, just with root now.

Where should I start from here? Should I download a recovery using ROM Manager? I went to try, and it has recoveries for the Epic 4G, or Galaxy S2, wasn't sure which one to choose...

Unless there is a better way to do this

http://www.sxtpdevelopers.com/showthread.php?t=191

Should I use GB28 + Agats Recovery instead actually? Or an ICS version? Not sure what one I should use if I'm trying to get Dirty Unicorn after

Upvote 0
For Virgin Mobile phones, never use ROM Manager... it tends to cause bricks. The link you provided should work fine, it's the one I use when flashing anything. Use either Odin or Mobile Odin to flash the recovery on to your phone. After that you should be ready for flashing.

Now that you have root, I suggest downloading Titanium Backup from the Play Store to back up all your app data so that you can recover it when you flash a new ROM. If you want to save your SMS, messages, download SMS Backup and Restore as well.

If you wish to have working MMS and Visual Voicemail, you will need to flash the zip in the following link.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2199489

Upvote 0
For Virgin Mobile phones, never use ROM Manager... it tends to cause bricks. The link you provided should work fine, it's the one I use when flashing anything. Use either Odin or Mobile Odin to flash the recovery on to your phone. After that you should be ready for flashing.

Now that you have root, I suggest downloading Titanium Backup from the Play Store to back up all your app data so that you can recover it when you flash a new ROM. If you want to save your SMS, messages, download SMS Backup and Restore as well.

If you wish to have working MMS and Visual Voicemail, you will need to flash the zip in the following link.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2199489

I'm almost there! I have GB28 + Agats recovery at the moment. Making a backup as we speak, then I should:

Wipe In Recovery (Data, Factory Reset, Cache, and Dalvik right?)
Flash ROM
Flash Gapps
Flash ICS Modem
Flash MMS and Visual Voicemail

Then I should be all set? Lot of work to get a ROM on this device...Almost there though!

Coming along great! ROM Installed, put on Nova Launcher, looking solid so far. SOOO many options..just figuring out Halo, and Pie later..

Upvote 0
You're all set! Enjoy the new feel to your phone.

If you have any other questions or concerns, me or anyone else here will be happy to help you.

For whatever reason the time isn't updating for me. I don't actually have service at home, but I'm on the Wi-Fi, anyway to get it to sync without having to get service?

It's annoying everytime I flash a ROM or something, the time isn't accurate, and I use the cell as my alarm clock...so I have to leave the house, drive 15mina away to get service before the time syncs.

Upvote 0

Hey can you point out the fix you used? All of them I've tried only have partial success at best. How often do you use mms and have you missed any messages/pictures?

I should also ask everyone else here on the forums how their MMS is working and which fix they used.

So far I have not found a method to reliably fix MMS. I was looking at this thread as it seems to be the most updated but even people there have mixed results.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2199489&page=3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones