1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Package update for my android app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by abhay_bc, Aug 17, 2011.

1. abhay_bc

abhay_bc Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Hi
    I have developed an android app that accesses local sqlite database inside the app. The app installs and runs correctly on android devices.

I have a question around upgrading the app. In this case, say if an application source code changes OR the database data/structure changes, how do I package these changes and send/publish the update on market ?

do i have to repackage complete app and make it available as a new app version ? or can I just package only the changed files into a much smaller build size and push it to market ?

In general, how is the application upgrade/update process carried out ?

Advertisement

2. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

I believe Android SDK did not cater for incremental updates. So one way is to build some Export feature in your app. That is, allow user to export the sqlite database data to the SD card in say csv file format. Then provide another Import feature.

When there is a change in database structure you just roll out a full new version but put helplines asking existing user to export existing data out first before update the new version follow by import in.

I believe nowadays most users use cloud service to store data. Those data they stored in apps must be less important so wipe out clean and get an updated version is ok for them?

3. abhay_bc

abhay_bc Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    That doesn't sound good .. but I've few apps on my android that I've downloaded from the market and I've seen lot of these apps receiving updates and upgrades. How is that managed ? IS that a ful app (re)install ? does the android installer automatically manage the uninstall and then install of the app ?