1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Padding at bottom of screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thaKing, Apr 13, 2020.

1. thaKing

thaKing Android Enthusiast

I'm going to try my best to describe this, so I hope it makes sense. :) Woke this morning and my phone now has a "dead zone" of half an inch, approximately. If I try to launch an app from the home screen, I can't tap on the bottom half of the icons, as nothing happens. I have to tap the upper half of the icon. If using my keyboard, same thing - I can't tap on the bottom half of the space bar, I must use the upper half of the button.

I'm using Nova Launcher but I don't see that anything has changed. Thoughts?

2. thaKing

Edit: I should add clarity - the dead zone is the bottom of the screen, so the icons I'm trying to launch are in the dock.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Try disabling Nova and see what happens. It may be your screen is going bad

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  4. thaKing

Using default launcher had no effect. :(

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

did you drop the phone? are you using a case? if so is it a tight fit? you might want to see if it is a software issue, by performing a factory reset. if it still happens then you might have a hardware issue.

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  6. thaKing

Haven't dropped the phone. I'm using the same spigen case I've had from day 1.

A factory reset will erase all data, correct? Any way to avoid losing data (or what will/won't be lost)? If I'm resetting the phone, may have to wait until after work.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep......use smart switch to back up your data.

Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  8. thaKing

Something to note, gestures work (swipe up left for back, middle home, right switch apps).

#8 thaKing, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

In the meantime you can always add your dock icons into the screen areas as needed

10. thaKing

After completing work and homeschooling I was exhausted last night and didn't work on the phone. Woke this morning to a software update pending installation. I installed and after the update, all is well with the bottom of the screen. Not sure what was going on. Thanks for all the feedback.

Dannydet likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 8/12GB RAM, Exynos 9820 processor, and 4100mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews