1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root PagePlus DX still on Froyo; Sys wants to update to 4.5.605

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alster, Oct 3, 2011.

1. alster

alster Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi all,

My DX uses service from PagePlus (VZ mvno).

Around Jan/2011, I allowed an OTA update to system version 2.3.340 (and I think Froyo 2.2.1 at the same time? or maybe that was a separate OTA? I can't recall). I also grabbed a copy of Z4 and rooted the phone.

OK. Since then, no issues, and I've been putting off (for months) looking into updating the phone to GingerBread.

Today the phone wants to Install an already downloaded system version 4.5.605, to which I keep saying later (until I can get some questions answered), as I've read that *.605 is a fix to GB which I do not yet have loaded onto this phone.

**Sorry in advance if some of these questions are ignorant and "fact-mixing" as admittedly I haven't spent nearly enough time as I'd planned on emmersing myself into the workings of this phone.**

(keep in mind I'm a PagePlus customer, not a VZW customer. don't know if that even matters)

I have Froyo. Will allowing the 4.5.605 install be detrimental to my DX's operations, since *.605 is intended to fix issues (keyboard, etc) with GB?

Should I manually persue an update to GB before allowing this *.605 to be installed?

Will I loose root access? And can I get it back (important since I greatly utilize Droidwall to manage my 3G/Wifi access and usage being on PagePlus PAYG)

Will I loose installed apps (CoPilot, etc), and/or data I've accumaulated on the phone?

Can someone kindly point me toward a process/thread I should follow given my circumstances?

Thanks in advance for you patience and assistance.

Advertisement

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    hey op i would suggest modifying the title of this thread to

PagePlus DX still on Froyo; Sys wants to update to 4.5.605

3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    taking this OTA you will infact lose root, if you take this OTA, no major problems will come with it especially if your not even on GB, it just installs GB and the fixes. so its no harm no foul

you can reroot here:
    [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX)

i would infact advise you to contact your service provider and find out if taking this ota will remove your service with them, because this is a moto/vzw update.

alster likes this.
  4. alster

alster Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    VS: Great, thanks for the reassurance and the link. I feel mostly relieved.

I'll double chk with the provider but I think I've seen others on PP w/DX on GB sans issues.

BTW, It's my understanding that I have to un-root 1st using my installed Z4 lest the 605 update will not install.

Sound accurate?

5. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    no you can take the ota while rooted, it just removes root

6. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I'm still on Froyo (APEX) and this update kept popping up.

is there a way to completely stop this update from popping up

7. alster

alster Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    just curious: why don't you want to go to GB?

8. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    haven't been on the board since GB was introduced on DX but

didn't GB crippled wireless tether and there was a program to undo that, but these forum is against this

unless that policy changed

9. alster

alster Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    think I read something about tether crippling, but that there was a 3rd party app workaround.

10. alster

alster Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks VS, et al.

All done, nothing lost, althouhg a few curiousities.

When the phone rebooted for the final time after applying the root tool,

The phone first said something like,

"Success! System upgraded to *605...",

then, a second dialog said precisely,
    "An unknown error occured while importing your library:null. If you experience problems, we recommend you executing a library scan (menu -> library scan)."

But everything seems intact. I verified root axs changing some permissions in Droidwall.

Any idea what the above error indicates?

Also, Blade Buddy throws an exception when I choose to reboot the phone through it (but does reboot the phone as expected).

"IO Exceotion: Not root?"

I don't recall getting that msg under Froyo with Z4 root.

Wondering if it's related to old files (su, etc.) being left behind from the Z4 root and still being used..

Although, I do assume the one click root VS linked me to earlier does rm old versions that *may* be laying around in the system..

Anyone know?

Thanks for all!

11. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    its the SystemUpdater.apk basically just delete or freeze SystemUpdater.apk with TitaniumBackup
    here is the thread: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-su...2353-how-prevent-ota-updates.html#post1287239
    its somewhere in this forum, i will repost once i locate it, and tethering is against your TOS we advise not to use the illegal tethering apps, as this is not a illegal community, but regardless we will assist you in your efforts, though we all strongly advise you purchase the tethering plan

as of right now there are a few roms on GB that support wireless tether, and there are some workarounds, but i will not provide links to that, you will need to search for them yourself. sorry.

12. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia

i have gotten these types of errors when rooting GB before, it doesnt hinder anything, if you install a GB rom you will never notice the difference, and if it becomes too much of a nuisance, just SBF back to froyo, and install the PREROOTED .602