1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PagePlus Rooted DX still on 4.5.605; Sys wants to update to 4.5.621

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alster, Apr 17, 2012.

1. alster

alster Newbie

Hi all,

The phone has already downloaded the files for the upgrade, but I have postponed the install for 4 more hours to get a handle on the pitfalls.

I've never put any custom ROMs on the phone although I still intend to "explore" (no time to play past 12 months).

I understand I'll loose root ( [Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X - Droid X - RootzWiki ) and won't be able to (easily) get it back. The only way is to follow this process here: .621 Root Method - For new OTA Update - xda-developers

How can I indefinately postpone the installation of this upgrade until the re-root process for 621 is fool-proof?

Or should I just take the OTA update and feel confident using the xda thread method to re-root the phone will work well? Would I loose my phone settings and my installed apps if I goto 621? And would I be loosing out on tons of available custom ROMs etc. by going to 621 anyway?

IOW, am I simply much better off staying with 605?

Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

.621 has a better radio and fixes some bugs. If you were 100% positive you'd never want to root and needed the fixes, I'd say go for it. Best to just disable the update check and wait IMO. Don't count on someone rooting .621 any time soon. It's not the developer phone it was 18 months ago. The last root exploits were discovered in newer phones and just happened to also work on the X.

3. alster

alster Newbie

Thanks for the adivce fellas.

@colchiro:
    When you say a "better radio", do you mean for wireless connections?

Because on my DX, the wireless connection has long been a probelm. It often drops its' connection to my router (WPA2/AES, no broadcast).

I recall early last year reading several long threads about the "broken" wireless in the DX, and a driver problem wrt WPA2 and AES- but that the upgrade from Froyo to GB would address it- which it did NOT.

That is one area that definately is of interest to me, but NOT if I have to loose root forever-- and also NOT if none of the customizations (ROMS and such) would work any longer.

I suppose I should give that 19 page xda thread I mentioned earlier a full looking into..

4. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

I'm no expert on this, but the radio is responsible for 3G, possibly also wifi, but I'm not sure. I didn't see much documented on the official Verizon .621 release notes.

A LOT of router issues can be fixed by flashing an update, changing channels, changing the encryption type or simply investing $45 in a new one. (I really like the Netgear n150 & n300 routers.)

If wireless is your primary complaint, I'd do a factory reset or new router before taking the .621 update. If your router is wireless g (not n), it's overdue for replacement.

5. alster

alster Newbie

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews