• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paid apps, credit cards, app piracy and the Android Market/Play Store

Cryssie

Dec 21, 2011
I have a question/discussion point for my fellow Android users and for the talented developers out there.

Why oh why can we only purchase apps from the market with a creditcard?
I would love to spend some of my cash on good applications. LOVE! I am getting really tired of looking at ads, lite versions or just dreaming about apps I am unable to buy. I would very much like to pay developers for their hard work, but I can't. Google does not want my money because I do not own a creditcard.
It's not because I can't but because the things are just not very common at my side of the pond. In Europe we use debit and cash in our day to day shopping and online we have a system called IDEAL for using debit in webshops. The majority of store clerks and cashiers do not even know HOW to accept a creditcard because they never see them. People who travel a lot or order internationally have one, but that is about it.

But Google wants me to get one to buy apps. I am not getting a real one because it is ridiculous to pay the fees for something that I will only use for the small cost of buying apps. I do not need it otherwise.
Next logical step is to look into the digital ones. I came very close to buying a 20 euro credit, but then I looked a little further and if I understand correctly there seems to be a common problem with changing your creditcard number in the store and digital cards in general. So if I am out of luck and credit, I cannot change the number or it will not be accepted at all! There goes that plan! I do not have the money to take that risk. It seemed ridiculously convoluted anyway to need a third party to pay.
Also: I have a serious issue with the fact that all the pointers to digital creditcard replacements come from users and not from Google. As far as they are concerned: without a creditcard, you do not count.

And as a cherry on the pie, I found this 3 year old and identical question:
Google Groups
This is by no means the only question of this ilk.
Why Google? Why?
Why have you not addressed this issue? You have this beautiful system in place with the Wallet. How hard can it be to accept IDEAL so we can just load some money in the Wallet and buy our apps?

Can somebody shed some light on this because I truly do not understand.
Apple got it right: I could buy a disposable card in every cd store and supermarket to spend in the Apple store.
This must be costing Google a lot of money and as a customer I feel ignored and almost forced into piracy, because I want to use my phone to its potential. I am sure I am not the only one.
Why is Google so busy with their licensing and stopping piracy and gaining customers while at the same time they fail to make the app store accessible to everybody? It is stupid!
How do developers feel about this issue?

Reactions: neo_the_one
Well, that's weird.
Both the Play Store and Wallet ask me for Creditcard data specificly.

Debit cards can be ran as credit cards generally. Have you tried putting your debt card # and seeing if that will work?

Personally, would like an option to buy Google Play gift cards from B&M stores like you can do with Amazon and iTunes.

Yeah that would be great...suggestions for google cards like this have been around for as long as I have had an Andriod phone

Upvote 0
I cracked and bought a Visa voucher to buy some apps but it was so convoluted to put it all in, I don't think I will be doing it again when this one runs out.
Wallet asked me for info it did not need and frequently crashed or was just unreachable.

I had a look at debit as credit, but we can't do that...

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
I cracked and bought a Visa voucher to buy some apps but it was so convoluted to put it all in, I don't think I will be doing it again when this one runs out.
Wallet asked me for info it did not need and frequently crashed or was just unreachable.

I had a look at debit as credit, but we can't do that...

I'm in the US and I think all of our debit cards are able to be used as debit I admit my knowledge of banking in any other country is lacking. Its a bummer you have to jump thru hoops to buy an app.

Reactions: Cryssie
Upvote 0
When I first came over to Android I was dismayed to find that you could only purchase apps via a Credit/Debit card and not through the phone bill. I've been able to buy apps from the Nokia store for a number of years by charging the cost to my phone bill, so why not on Android?
I really don't like the idea of giving out my debit card details to Google using my phone and what could be safer than charging the cost to my bill?

Upvote 0
Play Gift Cards are now available.

Google Play - Gift Cards

Google Play gift cards are perfect for any occasion. You can buy them from your local retail store. Use your gift card to purchase your favorite entertainment on Google Play.*

• Explore millions of songs from top artists, thousands of your favorite movies and TV shows, the world's largest selection of eBooks, and much more. Play your purchases instantly on the web or on the go -- no need for wires or syncing.
  • Shop for all the Android apps and games you love with your Google Play gift card. You can even use it to purchase extra levels, add-on packs, and virtual currency.

Upvote 0
not sure about in Europe but in the us i dont have a credit card and i still buy apps... a debit card works just like a credit card. and if that doesn't work for you i think you could link your paypal account or your amazon account to your market place (play store) and then accounts would be linked to your bank so you could buy apps.

One reason I use iTunes cards is once I spend the money, I could care less if the card is hacked.

One thing I do at Christmas is I purchase Visa or AmEx gift cards. I long ago stopped using my CC for online purchases. The vendor might be bullet proof and honest but who knows about those that process the orders.

Prepaid gift cards solve the problem as far as I am concerned.

You might consider getting a card and use that. Once they are gone, they are gone and I never add money to a previously used card.

Upvote 0
I really don't like the idea of giving out my debit card details to Google using my phone and what could be safer than charging the cost to my bill?

It is indeed a concern.

Perhaps the problem is Google has not cut a deal with the carrier? Seems Google would use every possible payment option they can just to make sure you purchase.

My advice is to keep your bank info to yourself and use your cards only when you must.

Upvote 0
My little sister was using my phone and when I got it back I noticed the notification said NEW BOOK DOWNLOADED
and there were 3 books...She ''purchased them'' by accident...
and it said PURCHASED on the play store...
Ive never given any credit/debit info so will those ebooks be charged to my phone payment??
or were those books NOT purchased?
cus they are downloaded on my phone :s....

Upvote 0
My little sister was using my phone and when I got it back I noticed the notification said NEW BOOK DOWNLOADED
and there were 3 books...She ''purchased them'' by accident...
and it said PURCHASED on the play store...
Ive never given any credit/debit info so will those ebooks be charged to my phone payment??
or were those books NOT purchased?
cus they are downloaded on my phone :s....

Have you looked at your order history? If so what does it say?

In addition, you should have received an email with each "purchase".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones