1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Paid apps still available after changing email address?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by sOnYxPeRiAfAn, May 22, 2016.

1. sOnYxPeRiAfAn

sOnYxPeRiAfAn Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2015
    Good evening,

On my Android phone I have a Google account with a gmail address. I bought several paid apps from the Play store with this account. Now I would like to change the email address within this Google account into a new address. From what I read on the internet that will be possible but first I must delete gmail from the Google account. After that I can change the email address into a new one.

My question is:
    Will I still have my paid apps after changing the email address into the new address?

So I'm trying to change the address within my current Google account, I'm not trying to get a new account.

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Your gmail address is your google account identifier. You will need to maintain that address to get to your paid apps as far as I know.

Why not just open a new google account with the gmail address you want (keep the existing account) and use that for future emails. You can have multiple google accounts on the same phone and just switch between them when using apps (including playstore) if you need to.

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    OP, are you basically asking if you can rename your Gmail account / email address to something different?

If so, you can't do that...here's what a search regarding that returns:

If you use Gmail with your Google Account, it's not currently possible to change your Gmail username after you've registered. You can, however, delete Gmail from your account and use a different, non-Gmail address for your Google Account. You can also create another Google Account with a different Gmail username.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/19870?hl=en

You would indeed need to create and use a new, different account on your phone as @girolez has kindly indicated.

That works just fine--I have two Gmail accounts that I use (a personal one and a developer one) and the apps (paid and free) installed from either/both do indeed remain on the device when switching between the two accounts.

I'm pretty sure that deleting an account from your device will NOT touch the previously installed apps on your phone--I do not believe there's a check or linkage between those two processes.

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    I run 4 google accounts on my phone! As scary says, deleting an account will not delete apps installed from that account, but I believe it would mean that you will not get updates to the app, and that they will not be restored after a factory reset - at least not until you add the google account back.

5. sOnYxPeRiAfAn

sOnYxPeRiAfAn Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2015
    @scary alien: yes that's what I'm asking. I studied upon the same text as you quoted but drew the exact opposite conclusion as you did:D Because what I concluded was that after you deleted Gmail from the account you apparently don't use Gmail on your account anymore. And then the 2nd paragraph in the hyperlink starts counting:

If you use another email service

If you don't use Gmail with your Google Account, you can change your account username to another email address at any time.

So what I thought was that after deleting the Gmail from the account I would be able to add a new (3rd party) email address to the account and even change the account name.

Or maybe the truth lies somewhere in between? Like the name of my Google account will remain the Gmail-emailname while in my account settings it's possible to put a new email address.

Or maybe you're just right;)

Mikestony and scary alien like this.
  6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    @sOnYxPeRiAfAn, I think you're on the right track, but the way I read the page that I linked (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/19870?hl=en) is that you keep your Google Account name, but can change the email address (Gmail or otherwise) that is associated with your Google Account (that's new info to me, by the way--I thought you always had to have a Gmail account as your primary email address associated with the account, but they obviously changed/updated that at some point in time).

So, you would keep (i.e., don't delete) your "account name" but change the underlying/associated email address using the instructions listed on that link above:

Change the email address on your account

If you aren't using Gmail with your Google Account, follow these steps to change the email address onyour account:
    1. Sign in to My Account.
    2. In the “Personal info & privacy” section, select Your personal info.
    3. In the Email section, choose edit [​IMG] .
    4. Enter your new email address.
    5. Choose Save.

Once you've saved the change, you should get a message at the email address you just added to your account. To complete the change, click the verification link in this message. You should also get a message at your old email address confirming the change.

If you don't get these emails and you’ve already checked your spam folder, request a new email.​

and

Account email requirements
    • If you're adding a Gmail address to your Google Account, it must be a new one and cannot be associated with any other Google Account.
    • If you’re adding an email address to your Google Account as a primary email address that was previously an alternate email address, you’ll need to make sure it’s deleted from your account first.
    • The account username that you choose must be an active, valid email address that you can access.
    Make sense?

KOLIO, sOnYxPeRiAfAn and Mikestony like this.
  7. sOnYxPeRiAfAn

sOnYxPeRiAfAn Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2015
    Hi, I read your reply but haven't had the guts to remove the gmail address. I did enter an alternative (non-gmail) address in my account settings which will become the primary email after the deletion of gmail. I think I need a few more nights sleep before pressing the button:( Thanks guys for your help though and I will inform here the results I will make.

scary alien and KOLIO like this.