• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paint chip from case

fdawg07

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
I bought a Platinum case from Best Buy when I first bought my 3d but after taking it off and putting it on numerous times, it looks like my paint is chipping on the top corner of the phone. Anyone else having this problem?

What can I do to fix it? I'm sure there's not much but what if I just got a black permanent marker and gave it a quick touch up? It's not too big so I don't think it would look too tacky.

Any advice?

Thanks!

A Sharpie may look a little tacky. But it will cover up scratches.

Alternatively, you could buy a different case. Seidio makes some good ones and the case has never chipped my phone despite multiple removals.

Also, are you pulling your battery to turn off the phone? Hold Vol Down + Vol Up + Power to shut off the device without doing the battery yank.

Upvote 0
I will look into different cases. Thanks for the tips!

I just take it off every once in a while when I show friends the phone. Just annoying considering it's been in a case since DAY ONE but it has scratches on the covered part. Kind of ironic.

I just want to get rid of those scratches!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I will look into different cases. Thanks for the tips!

I just take it off every once in a while when I show friends the phone. Just annoying considering it's been in a case since DAY ONE but it has scratches on the covered part. Kind of ironic.

I just want to get rid of those scratches!

Thanks again!

What a crappy case. Does opposite what it's designed to do. What case was it again? Let's make sure no one else gets that sorry excuse for a product.

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
I have 2 launch EVO 3D and I got best buy's platinum cases and both have scratches to the paint. I only remove the case once in a while to clean the phone. Not worth the$50 that I paid for them. I just got a new replacement from Sprint and I'm afraid to scratch it too. What cases you guys recommend without breaking the bank?.

Upvote 0
I speculate and I am more than happy to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Seidio makes the Platinum line for Best Buy (or did Sprint carry Platinum for a bit too?). It is more or less re-branded but if you look somewhere on the packaging it probably has Seidio's name on it. I recall pretty much the same issue with the one of the Evo 4G Cases: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-acc...g-seidio-platinum-cases-scratched-my-evo.html
A few of their designs are not that great, however some of them they sell online only are really good I've heard. At some point they even released a revised Platinum case for the Evo 4G that was felt lined that would not scratch the phone as badly or easily when just installing or removing the case. Probably in reaction to all the returns and complaints?

The worst part about it is that the Platinum series is one of the only main case accessories that Best Buy carries besides Rocketfish - which is the Best Buy produced 'value brand'. In my eyes, twice the Platinum cases have proven poor workmanship. Although I will grant a little leeway since the Evo phones are tough to make a case for. Overall I tend to recommend not purchasing phone accessories in store as some retailers try to strategically only sell certain products. Best Buy may have vested interests in Seidio or the Platinum series line and buy them cheap and dirty up front before release so they are the first and only accessory to offer when people get their new phones. Then mark them way up for quick resale disregarding design flaws or quality issues. I say buyer beware.

Same goes for Zagg products. I've long suspected that Best Buy has vested interests or exclusivity agreements in the company that makes Zagg as it is pretty much the only type of screen protector they choose to carry in store despite the overall lack in quality. Not to mention the high price, and risky installation. (I haven't checked stores lately so something may have changed with their product lines but I somehow doubt it). I'm not trying to rile up any feuds since some people really like Platinum series cases and Zagg protectors (or their lifetime guarantee) to those who may disagree with me I say to each his/her own and enjoy your purchase.

For further reading on paint issues see this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/388458-evo-3d-bad-paint-job.html Some phones suffer from a bad paint job straight from the factory. All it takes is a tiny bit of little skin oil or residue to make the paint not set well during the painting process (its unclear to me what type of paint or process they used for the Evo 3D - but at least we are not dealing with a cheap plastic chassis/fascia). Sharpie works as a decent touch up for small small areas, any bigger and it starts to look tacky and reflect light purplishly.

SeidioSeido lurks around the androidforums here sometimes, I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say on these Platinum series case issues. And I'd prefer to hear something said other than go back to the retailer. Maybe they can help straighten out the business specifics or help out those with complaints/issues?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones