• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pairing blue tooth mouse with Acer 500

Thank you for the response.
The mouse is an unbranded unit made in China identified as a Bluetooth Optical Mouse. I have since emailed Acer and their response that the version of 3.1 supplied by them does not support bluetooth mice yet there are videos on uTube showing the procedure for pairing a bluetooth mouse with the Acer A500. I am confused.

Upvote 0
Reactions: king12
Upvote 0
I was relying on Acer's statement that the version of 3.1 supplied by them does not support bluetooth mice, but what would they know.

By the sounds of it, a few people have had success with a BT mouse on the stock system, so maybe "not supported" means you could be lucky but if you're not don't complain to Acer.
Pete seems coy about sharing advice on how he got his Microsoft BT mouse working, so the best I have come up with is from Icebike at AndroidTablets.net who had success with a Dell BT mouse;

"I just had to unpair it to refresh my memory, Here's what I did.

Start by unpairing it.

On the tab make sure its discover-able and blue tooth is on.
Then pick up the mouse, turn on and tap the blue button.

On the tablet, in bluetooth settings scroll all the way down to scan for new devices.
Select your mouse (by its mac address which is printed on the bottom).
Key in 0000 for pairing. hit ok.
Tap any mouse button and a cursor will appear on your screen.

Every time you wake the tablet, tap a mouse button to tell the tablet that the mouse is ready."

king12 - if the documentation with your mouse doesn't mention a pair code and 0000 doesn't work, you could try other typical variations like 1234, 9999

Upvote 0
I was relying on Acer's statement that the version of 3.1 supplied by them does not support bluetooth mice, but what would they know.

By the sounds of it, a few people have had success with a BT mouse on the stock system, so maybe "not supported" means you could be lucky but if you're not don't complain to Acer.
Pete seems coy about sharing advice on how he got his Microsoft BT mouse working, so the best I have come up with is from Icebike at AndroidTablets.net who had success with a Dell BT mouse;

"I just had to unpair it to refresh my memory, Here's what I did.

Start by unpairing it.

On the tab make sure its discover-able and blue tooth is on.
Then pick up the mouse, turn on and tap the blue button.

On the tablet, in bluetooth settings scroll all the way down to scan for new devices.
Select your mouse (by its mac address which is printed on the bottom).
Key in 0000 for pairing. hit ok.
Tap any mouse button and a cursor will appear on your screen.

Every time you wake the tablet, tap a mouse button to tell the tablet that the mouse is ready."

king12 - if the documentation with your mouse doesn't mention a pair code and 0000 doesn't work, you could try other typical variations like 1234, 9999

Coy, LOL. I fired it up and it worked straight away, nothing to be coy about.

The mouse is a "Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000".

Have since updated to 3.2 and have yet to test it but I will check let you know if it still works. Okay I just checked and it is working fine on 3.2 as well.

Cheers.

Pete

Upvote 0
PeteDee - so are you saying there is no process you need to go through to pair or connect your mouse to the tablet?

I can see how that might be kind of annoying if there are other tablet users in range and your mouse suddenly starts doing stuff on their screen, which is why bluetooth usually requires a pairing exchange.

And that's the bit king12 is asking for help with.

Upvote 0
king12 - your mouse must have a way of letting other devices know it is available.

In the guide from Icebike that is the step

"Then pick up the mouse, turn on and tap the blue button".

Your mouse may not have a blue button but it should have an equivalent. If there isn't any kind of button underneath just try moving it and pressing the mouse buttons just before you start the scan from your tablet.

If the tablet can't even see it then your chances of getting it working are slim.
Do you have any other bluetooth devices around (eg phone) to try out the pairing process from your tablet?

Upvote 0
PeteDee - so are you saying there is no process you need to go through to pair or connect your mouse to the tablet?

I can see how that might be kind of annoying if there are other tablet users in range and your mouse suddenly starts doing stuff on their screen, which is why bluetooth usually requires a pairing exchange.

And that's the bit king12 is asking for help with.

Of course I went through the normal pairing and connecting sequence as you do with any bluetooth device.

Pete

Upvote 0
I just received a second BT mouse, a Targus BT Laptop Mouse. When the A500 scans for this unit, it finds it and a complete description appears on the screen. This is more than my other mouse did. Then a box opens where you are supposed to enter the pairing code. I have tried both oooo and 1234 but it does not seem to pair. At least I don't show a curser. Under the BT heading there is an item called "Devices" and my screen shows A500 under that heading. If the mouse pairs should it also appear under this heading?

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Microsoft Notebook 5000 Bluetooth mouse, I imagine the same mouse that Pete is using but I cannot get it to pair to my Acer a500 for the life of me, I scan for it and it finds the mouse instantly but when the "enter pin to pair" comes up I enter 0000 or 1234 or 9999 but nothing seems to work at all.

Pete, what pin are you entering? Are you clicking ont he mouse after pressing enter for the pin??? what exactly did you do to pair this mouse as I'm about to throw it at a wall.

EDIT:

Ok I managed to pair it with 0000, the problem appeared to be I am also using the Logitech bluetooth Keyboard for android 3.0 and it would not allow me to pair until I turned off the bluetooth keyboard and entered the pin through the on screen keyboard.

afterwards I was able to turn my keyboard back on and both are paired, kicking ass and taking names XD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones