• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pandora on the EVO

Been having off and on problems with it also. Can you guys text and listen to pandora at the same time over 3g?

Read over some comments over at marketplace and some people are expercing alot of problems since the latest update. I also read how you cant use nav and this at the same time.. any truth to that? >.>

When I get a text, Pandora pauses for a second as the notification comes thru, then goes back to playing. Other than that, I haven't had problems texting while it was playing.

I haven't had any serious problems streaming over 3g. If I lose 3g signal, the program force closes/crashes. Each time it happened, it restarted easily.

I haven't tried using Navigator at the same time.

Upvote 0
Pandora is great even though it is definitely a bit glitchy lately.

Force closes every so often and the screen has been touchy about refreshing lately (it doesn't always display the new song that is playing... sometimes takes a LONG time to refresh and sometimes I even have to go to my home screen and then reenter pandora for it to refresh). Worth it anyway though... especially because it's free!

Upvote 0
Ok, so I've been using Pandora on my EVO and it's awesome. Got a little bogged down, I called Sprint tech services and it was the ol' "remove the battery and see if it helps", which it acutally did. I'm in a 3G area and the net and Pandora fly. But here's my question.....

When I unplug my EVO from my car stereo system, it doesn't play through the EVO speaker. What am I missing? It works fine as long as I'm plugged into the car system. I haven't tried using external ear buds yet, but does anyone know why it work work through my EVO speaker? Other applications with sound (e.g. YouTube) works fine. Any help? Thanks!!

LittleJoe1

Upvote 0
Ok, so I've been using Pandora on my EVO and it's awesome. Got a little bogged down, I called Sprint tech services and it was the ol' "remove the battery and see if it helps", which it acutally did. I'm in a 3G area and the net and Pandora fly. But here's my question.....

When I unplug my EVO from my car stereo system, it doesn't play through the EVO speaker. What am I missing? It works fine as long as I'm plugged into the car system. I haven't tried using external ear buds yet, but does anyone know why it work work through my EVO speaker? Other applications with sound (e.g. YouTube) works fine. Any help? Thanks!!

LittleJoe1

Does it not play through the speaker even if you start it up without headphones plugged in? Mine is sitting on my desk right now playing just fine through the external speaker.

Reactions: LittleJoe1
Upvote 0
I can do a number of things while listening...but running only pandora on the drive to work it changes song mid song 3-6 times within a 45 min time. I have read it does this on free and paid version. Nav issue was fixed on the last update and sprint update.

In the process of setting up slacker and last fm. 1.5 and 1.5.1 versions of pandora keep changes songs
Been having off and on problems with it also. Can you guys text and listen to pandora at the same time over 3g?

Read over some comments over at marketplace and some people are expercing alot of problems since the latest update. I also read how you cant use nav and this at the same time.. any truth to that? >.>

Upvote 0
This app is absolutely useless after the Froyo update. The newest update did fix the horrible sound quality of the songs but now most the songs cut off in the middle of it and goes to the next. I had to delete it and go with Slacker. And it does not look like they are going to fix it anytime soon if at all.

Upvote 0
This app is absolutely useless after the Froyo update. The newest update did fix the horrible sound quality of the songs but now most the songs cut off in the middle of it and goes to the next. I had to delete it and go with Slacker. And it does not look like they are going to fix it anytime soon if at all.

Not true, I use it all the time with no problem on high quality, and yes I can tell a difference....

Upvote 0
A-HAAA....and that was the fix. Thank you VERY much. (Yeah, I know, I'm a techno-idiot).

Not sure I understand what you guys are getting at. Mine plays just fine starting under all conditions, with/without starting earbuds or plugged into car stereo.

I have experienced the skip mid song but not all that frequently. I am a fairly heavy user (before, and now that the SQ is fixed) so I am wondering if it is caused by in out of 3g/4g ( I do know that it didnt happen before though, at least very infrequently). I have excellent 3g coverage (and a fair enough amount of 4g to actually leave it on) throughout orange county.

I havent used slacker in forever as I found Pandora's grouping to be by far the best feature. This is a dated opinion FWIW.

**I will add that as far as usage I do stream via BT to my home receiver frequently, sometimes via the evo, most often via my laptop though. I can pretty much be certain that my skips occur while traveling in the car and not so much at home. For those interested in a low cost solution (and who have non BT capable receivers) the Belkin C01 does an excellent job receiving. SQ may not be for the audiophile, but more than acceptable IMO

Upvote 0
now most the songs cut off in the middle of it and goes to the next.

Not true, I use it all the time with no problem on high quality, and yes I can tell a difference....

yes ...most of us can tell the latest fix did work on audio quality....they haven't fixed the change to next song mid song issue. if you aren't experiencing that issue, great...but there are a ton of threads on it...his does it...mine does it...along with all of the other people who have posted this issue. it's network/buffer related... so if you are sitting listening in one area it usually isn't an issue

Upvote 0
Been using it at work since I got my Evo. I've experience with Pandora and I can easily tell you what seems to be happening with me when the song 'skips'.

If you get a big signal 'dip', the Pandora app will think that you've lost the signal and, when it comes out of the 'dip', it will reconnect with the server and, because of the way Pandora itself is designed, it will just start a new song. I have Pandora enabled on my Evo, my desktop, my laptop and my Roku box - all to the same Pandora account. Even if I try to start them at the same time, the microseconds between connections across the different platforms means I end up with four different songs.

That could explain part of the 'song skip' issue. It isn't all on the device, but rather it's partially Pandora's server programming.

(That's not to say there isn't hardware issues as well. Some of the complaints could be due to hardware issues. I just haven't seen any that couldn't be attibuted solely to hardware.)

Upvote 0
All I know is, in the same conditions, prior to Froyo, I had no problems listening to Pandora. Then Froyo came out and I quit listening due to the horrific sound quality. After the update to fix the audio and a fairly recent Pandora update, I tried again and can't string 2 songs together without a skip. Blame it on whatever you want. I'm not pointing fingers, but Pandora via the Evo sucks balls now. In my opinion, of course.

Upvote 0
**I will add that as far as usage I do stream via BT to my home receiver frequently, sometimes via the evo, most often via my laptop though. I can pretty much be certain that my skips occur while traveling in the car and not so much at home. For those interested in a low cost solution (and who have non BT capable receivers) the Belkin C01 does an excellent job receiving. SQ may not be for the audiophile, but more than acceptable IMO
Can you provide more details on the Belkin C01 you mention? I am not finding such a device in a cursory search, nor on Belkin's website.

Upvote 0
Can you provide more details on the Belkin C01 you mention? I am not finding such a device in a cursory search, nor on Belkin's website.

Amazon.com: Belkin F8Z492 Bluetooth Music Receiver for iPod and iPhone (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

It says C01 on it however it seems the actual part number is F... as above. The pic is slightly misleading as there are actually 2 cables plugged into it, one for power and the other output to the receiver.

Funny, this one shows it for a little less http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492tt-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/tech-data/B003ICW4LU/ref=de_a_smtd No idea what the difference is, perhaps a premium for having ipod/iphone in the title ? I paid 38.74 + but amazon shows the first link as the one I purchased.

Reactions: saturnine
Upvote 0
There is a monthly hour limit on each free account. I can't remember how many hours it is. Once you hit the hour cap it will not play until the next month. I have never hit the limit...but I only listen from the phone. Friends that listen online andfrom phone hit it frequently. Not sure how accurately it tracks hours played on the phone. Do you use the same login when listening from phone that you use online?

And for the record I switched back to pandora from slacker. Noticed my bt controls don't work in slacker
I have had no issues even on a low 3G signal. However, one thing I did notice while i listen to it via pc at work it will give me a limit on how much i can listen to. From that point they want 99 cents to continue unlimited for the rest of the month. From the phone i noticed there is no limit.

Upvote 0
The limit is 40 hours per month, at least it is on the PC. What i do is when that limit hits on my work PC i just take my speakers and plug them in the Evo and start up pandora and it works fine.

if you are using the same login then it must not be registering/tracking the hours from the evo correctly, as I supected.

my friend on tmobile when he hits his limit on the pc it locks him out on the phone (same login)

of course if you were to get locked out and do have multiple email addys you could theoretically just set up another account..one for the phone and one for the pc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones