1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Pandora, Slacker, who knows what else not working after update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stryker707, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pitbullcrazyinky

None

Jul 11, 2010
    pandora works good for me and didn't loose my widget like xxINFIDELxx and other's stated.
    just my weather won't broadcast my city like it did with 2.1?

Advertisement

2. Quantizer

Quantizer Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver, CO
    For those who updated to 2.2 and have crap sound, _please_ add your comments to the Google Code Android thread #9308 and be sure to star the issue to raise the bug ranking:

Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code

For those who don't think they have the problem, have you tried with a decent pair of headphones? The issue and cause have been confirmed by Pandora tech support, but they cannot fix it as the bug also affects many other streaming apps (Slacker, Rhapsody, Sirius, etc.) and must be fixed by Google. This is not a figment of anyone's imagination, so given the technical explanation already described of the problem, it seems quite odd that anyone on 2.2 would NOT notice the sound degradation, unless they rooted and applied the temp fix as previously documented at XDA. Either there is another variable not being considered or different people seem to be judging the sound quality differently based on their hearing ability/sensitivity. I can assure you that to my and many other people's ears, it totally *SUCKS* now. :p

3. dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    San Diego
    The is a problem with sirius too. The program skips back and forth while trying to listen to some thing.

4. higgins14

higgins14 Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    I have the same problem with Pandora pausing when using nav. I would like that fixed before the sq issue.... but i would like the sq issue fixed also

5. 2WheelPig

2WheelPig Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    Same problem exists when playing mp3's from SD card using the built-in music app and Google Nav. Before the update to 2.2, the music would be muted during voice directions then start up again. After I updated to 2.2, the music app is closed and the icon disappears from the notification bar at the top. I also experience this on Pandora with same, consistent results on both apps. Doesn't seem to matter if WiFi, 4G, etc is on or off; same results.

6. jcandroid

jcandroid Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    pandora is horrible right now with froyo. but i installed slacker and the radio is working just fine. i wipe my phone clear with factory reset before installing froyo. after that pandora is acting funny but slacker is working fine. i starting to like slacker better

7. jcandroid

jcandroid Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    weird i was playing slack with google nav in my car and the music would still play after the google ladies gave me directions. i was pretty hype up it could do that

8. r546

r546 Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Couldn't have said it better myself, registered just to post this. It's embarrassing that Google, HTC, and Sprint would all let this through. It should be the most basic of testing, just trying any few of the MANY streaming radio apps over 3G. The issue should've been uncovered immediately. I never cared about rooting so I upgraded to 2.2 as soon as it came out. Now without root, I can't apply any of the community fixes or a custom ROM, and who knows when Google/HTC will put out an official update. One of the biggest uses of my phone, instantly killed, with no timeline for a fix. Great way to destroy customer satisfaction.

9. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Longhorn Land
    What are the chances that this has been fixed to some degree? I tried the aux input on my home stereo (brand new Samsung surround sound home theater unit) and Pandora sounded fine. Still sounds like crap in the car. I don't get the "air" sound on the stereo at home like I do in the car. Is it possible the home stereo filters out the suckage while the car stereo does not?

10. Quantizer

Quantizer Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Yep, it really makes you wonder what kind of QA process there is (or isn't) between the three companies that something like this would be caught early but shoved through anyway on the end consumer. Forum posts back in May publicized the error of the missing AAC support, but somebody rubber stamped the pile anyway and shoveled it out and on to us. It doesn't take an audiophile's ear to notice the loss in quality with Pandora from 192Kbps (paid high quality setting) to what sounds like ~32Kbps after Froyo. I don't detect any difference between audio streaming on 3G or WiFi, they both sound awful for an AAC source such as Pandora or Slacker.

The official bug thread at Google:
    Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code
    It's no timeline, but it does show a status of Closed as of August 9th and a pending Future Release, whenever that might be... :rolleyes:

FWIW, other apps that don't use AAC and are worth trying include Last.fm, XiiaLive, and RadioTime.

11. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    QA Engineer
    San Diego, CA.
    For all those having sound issues with Pandora and Slacker Radio. I have seemed to have stumbled across a simple fix for the sound issue.

1. Download an app called MixZing (free version works fine) from the market. Load up the app.
    2. Make sure you have at least one audio mp3 on your phone.
    3. Play that music file.
    4. In the left hand bottom corner of the application there is an icon that resembles an equalizer. Click it.
    5. After it comes up Click the "On" check box.
    6. Select the arrow next to were it says "flat" and change it to "Bass Boost".

You will hear a considerable difference in the sound. Now by doing this this seems to change all of the audio that you play. I noticed after changing this my Pandora and Slacker radio sound improve tremendously.

Hope you all get the same results!!!! :D:D:D

EarlyMon likes this.
Tags: