• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pandora (without ap!)

Has any found a way to get pandora.com to work on the EVO/any android. I ask because the audio quality sucks on the pandora app (especially since the high quality option isnt working with 2.2, which is only 64kbps anyway). I like the app for its convenience, but if I'm sitting at my desk all day I'd rather have the better sound quality (I'm a pandora one subscriber).

Here's a response from Pandora to my question about shitty sound quality after 2.2 release...

"Also, Froyo has a problem processing our AAC+ files. We have confirmed that this is an issue in the OS, and they should have it fixed in the next Android release. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

By the way, Free Pandora is 64k AAC+ on the web. Pandora One subscribers get the option of 192k MP3 on the Web and when using the AIR Desktop App. Android phones should get 32k AAC+ in normal quality mode and 64k AAC+ in high quality mode or over Wi-Fi..."

FYI: I am running an EVO Froyo hybrid ROM.

In the stock browser type, “about:debug”
Then go to settings, UAstring, change to desktop.

I am sure you have tried the first step, but now get the “chrome to phone” app and try pushing the site to your phone from FF or Chrome. It loads for me, but I cannot test very well because I have 1 bar in my office.

Even if this does work, it is probably not useful because you have to start the process from a different computer… but… yeah. Hope this helps.

Update:
I just tested it. It will work only for your “thumbs up” songs that you can play directly off the site. If you try to use it the normal way it does not seem to work :/

Upvote 0
I am not rooted and did the Froyo update Monday night. My Pandora is working fine. I did a factory reset yesterday and noticed the sound quality sucked today. I changed it to high quality, rebooted and it was fine after that. I am using good head phones (more comfortable at work than ear buds) and haven't noticed a change in Pandora since I got my Evo until today - the reboot seemed to fix it. Maybe I am lucky !!! :)

Upvote 0
landerhoffis, I totally agree with you. On longer drives, I tether my netbook to my HTC Incred. to get 192kbps in my car. I think the best long term solution is to get Pandora to allow 192kbps on the Android app.

Send an email to pandora-support@pandora.com asking for this. I already inquired a couple of weeks ago. After a few back and forth messages, the customer support guy Jonathan, said he'll forward my request to software development for review.

Pandora has no excuse to not allowing the higher bit rate to its Pandora One customers. Their music library is already encoded to 192kbps and most 3g networks can support the bandwidth.

Upvote 0
landerhoffis, I totally agree with you. On longer drives, I tether my netbook to my HTC Incred. to get 192kbps in my car. I think the best long term solution is to get Pandora to allow 192kbps on the Android app.

Send an email to pandora-support@pandora.com asking for this. I already inquired a couple of weeks ago. After a few back and forth messages, the customer support guy Jonathan, said he'll forward my request to software development for review.

Pandora has no excuse to not allowing the higher bit rate to its Pandora One customers. Their music library is already encoded to 192kbps and most 3g networks can support the bandwidth.

Truly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones