• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Panoramic Camera Question

Mikestony

~30% Carbon Black ±
Sep 10, 2010
Next to you
I'm not a heavy picture taker my any means but decided to try out the panoramic option on my native camera app.
I can only use that option in portrait mode?? I tried it in landscape mode but it gave me some error along the lines of, "camera stopped" or something.

Am I missing something, or does panoramic mode only work when the device is held in the portrait orientation?

AFAIK panoramic should work with either vertical(portrait) and horizontal(landscape) mode, and I've never had a phone that doesn't. I think most would use panoramic with landscape mode anyway, for capturing panoramas at their best.

"camera stopped", sounds like the camera app is crashing, which is probably a software bug that needs fixing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AFAIK panoramic should work with either vertical(portrait) and horizontal(landscape) mode, and I've never had a phone that doesn't. I think most would use panoramic with landscape mode anyway, for capturing panoramas at their best.

"camera stopped", sounds like the camera app is crashing, which is probably a software bug that needs fixing.
Well, I just checked to see what exactly the message was, in landscape mode, and it says, " the camera has stopped due to being outside the guidelines".
If I am in vertical/portrait mode, the arrows that indicate on how you should move the camera are pointed left/right as seen in my screenshot:
Capture+_2018-11-24-08-05-28.png

and if I hold the device horizontal/landscape mode, the arrows indicate up/down, not right/left. If I move right/left in landscape mode, I get the error. If I move up/down in landscape mode, I take a panoramic shot up and down, but going right to left I get that error message.
Capture+_2018-11-24-08-05-44.png

I'm starting to think this is just the way the camera is. One would think taking a horizontal panoramic picture, one needs to hold the device in landscape mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones