• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Panoramic View - Pic

Airmaxx23

Android Expert
Jun 21, 2010
I just took a quick pic, while at work, so it isn't the greatest scenery (except for my Baja of course) but you'll get the idea.

2010-07-14_16-19-17_791.jpg

va9zZFhAKpHlVcKWax_OqyN8znHAdGGUIiI3CmmxD80

quick Q on these panorama pics... don't laugh pls.

How do you get the shots to line up? my hand would never be nearly steady enough to shoot at the same exact height/angle and such.

Is there some algorithm the cameras use to combine imperfectly aligned pictures?

I had a phone that did panoramic, my LG Dare I think, and when you lined up the second and third shots it had a slight carryover from the last picture on the screen so you could line it up. So, if you took a picture of a wide tree, some of the branches from the first picture would carry over on to the screen for the second one, helping you line the image up.

Upvote 0
quick Q on these panorama pics... don't laugh pls.

How do you get the shots to line up? my hand would never be nearly steady enough to shoot at the same exact height/angle and such.

Is there some algorithm the cameras use to combine imperfectly aligned pictures?

You just line up the first shot and press the camera button, it takes the first pic, then you slowly turn (left, right, up or down, whoch you choose before taking the first pic) and once you're in the right spot it takes the next pic, turn a little more, it takes the next pic until it's taken 6 pics. You only have to press the camera button for the first shot, it's all automatic after that.

Upvote 0
The stitching is extremely clean. Do you have the original photo (without resizing) to get an idea of its quality?

Note: I have a soft-sport for Bajas.

The original is only 3mp, it's the largest pic you can take in the panoramic view.

Your work looks rather slow today. :(

I manage a furniture store and there was no one here at the time...lol

Awesome thanks for the pic. Looks like it does a damn good job. Love the Baja!

Thanks, I love it too, I just wish they still made them.

Upvote 0
I had a phone that did panoramic, my LG Dare I think, and when you lined up the second and third shots it had a slight carryover from the last picture on the screen so you could line it up. So, if you took a picture of a wide tree, some of the branches from the first picture would carry over on to the screen for the second one, helping you line the image up.

I kinda still miss the LG Dare. The panorama and slo mo video were on the Dare when other phones just had Sepia, BW, etc. That's one of the many reasons I'm excited to get the Droid X.

Here's a sample of the LG Dare panorama. It was only as wide as 3 frames. The Droid X does 5!

How do you get the shots to line up? my hand would never be nearly steady enough to shoot at the same exact height/angle and such. Is there some algorithm the cameras use to combine imperfectly aligned pictures?

Watch Phandroid Rob's video review of the camera. It used boxes and arrows to help you line up the next shot. He also has samples in his REVIEW.

YouTube - Motorola Droid X: Camera and Camcorder Review

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones