• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Paranoid question about spyware?

sautch

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hi,

I have a Droid Incredible.

I am paranoid (with good reason, trust me) and am wondering if it is AT ALL possible for someone to have remotely installed spyware onto my phone? Bluetooth has always been disabled and the phone is basically stock with just a few legit apps.

Hi,

I have a Droid Incredible.

I am paranoid (with good reason, trust me) and am wondering if it is AT ALL possible for someone to have remotely installed spyware onto my phone? Bluetooth has always been disabled and the phone is basically stock with just a few legit apps.

The short answer is, no, but double check in the security settings (I think) that the box for installation of non market apps is unchecked. Also will want to make sure your Google account hasn't been compromised. Turning on 2-step verification is a great security feature. (2 step verification can only be turned on from a browser)

You can easily check every app that is installed by going into the app settings menu, or an app like "system panel" will list every app that is running. Lastly there is an app called "network connections", developed by " anti spy mobile" that will show you what every app connects to on the internet.

Lastly, you can always perform a factory reset on your phone.

And an extreme measure would be to completely reflash the phone using an RUU. Or for highly embedded spyware, that would survive a factory reset or reflash(which is theoretically possible), would be to root and manually wipe every partition on the phone and install an open source custom ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones