1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Partial solution to "low on space" notification for HTC Desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ullrich, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ullrich

ullrich Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    I discovered one reason and a solution for one of the many factors contributing to the "low on space" notification. This is particularly relevant if you are using Google Plus (not even the app, just the service itself).
    I have an unrooted HTC Desire, with all apps moved to SD (when possible) and only rarely got the "low on space" notification. A few days back suddenly without me having installed anything the notification came back. The reason was the massively growing contact storage, from 6MB to 11MB. It turns out that two factors were responsible:
    a) Google adds all the Google Plus connections into "other contacts" in the Google address book.
    b) The HTC Desire People application syncs ALL Google contacts, including "other contacts", which is a bug. Other HTC phones allow to select which groups to sync, but not the HTC Desire.

The solution is to disable the sync of Google contact, and to re-enable it in a different way:

Go to accounts & sync, select Google, and then unselect contacts. Now, delete the data of the contact storage (ONLY IF YOU REALLY USE THE SYNC WITH GOOGLE of course). This will remove the contacts from your phone, but not from the Google servers.
    Go again to "accounts & sync" and add a new account . Select "Exchange ActiveSync". Enter your Google email/password, and as the server address "m.google.com". Create this new account and start the sync (I had to start the sync two times, then my contacts were back. This results in synchronizing only the group "my contacts". In my case, it is what I wanted (if you need to sync other groups than this one, this solution is not for you).
    Now, my contact storage is only 1MB, and I can add/change contacts as usual.

I hope this is helpful for some of you.

Advertisement

2. OriginalDesire

None

Oct 18, 2011
    Hi,

I would appreciate some help in managing my contact storage in my HTC Desire. I recently synced my google contacts to my phone so a large amount of memory is being used, and thanks to your post I have realised that I probably have 'Low on Storage" due to my the number of contacts.

Could you please elaborate on your suggestion to "delete the data of the contact storage (ONLY IF YOU REALLY USE THE SYNC WITH GOOGLE of course). This will remove the contacts from your phone, but not from the Google servers."

I think this will really help me with cutting down my contact files and (at least temporarily) fix the issue of low storage.

Thanks!

3. spile

spile Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    The contacts bug I am aware of is related to syncing of Facebook contacts.

Tags: