• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Password keeper paranoia

xrunner

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
I've read several threads about the "best" password keeper and I'm trying to decide between Keepass and Mindwallet.

On the one hand, Keepass is open-source (which I consider a plus), but it uses SD storage. As it has been well documented, SD storage is not secure at all. So if there's an evil app installed that grabs all the data from my SD card, I would think a brute force attack on my Keepass file will allow the evil doer to have all my private information. I assume no one has found a way for Keepass to use the native storage on a Droid.

My other selected option is to go with Mindwallet, which is not open-source and thus we don't know everything the developer is doing with the full network access. This is NOT to say the developer is a bad person --- I have no idea what type of person he is. He could be a saint, but I don't know that. Is there a way to lock the network access for this app or some other way to ensure the app won't attempt to send my data where it does not belong? I do like the way Mindwallet works and that it doesn't require using SD storage. So, please, I'm not implying anything personal about the developer.

I know, I'm paranoid. Is there a way to use either of these apps by mitigating my concerns? Thanks!

@AngryHatter: I am paranoid, but that doesn't mean that apps don't take advantage of all the security lapses. There are plenty of well published holes with Android. Are there web sites that specifically publish errant apps?

@jae_63: That's an interesting idea. I haven't rooted yet, but have considered doing it. Would the symlink be secured with the device memory authority or the "public" authority of fat32?

Upvote 0
@jae_63: That's an interesting idea. I haven't rooted yet, but have considered doing it. Would the symlink be secured with the device memory authority or the "public" authority of fat32?

I'm not sure what you mean, but since the symbolic link would be stored on the SD card, it would just be a pointer into the in-memory filesystem. So if you lose your phone but successfully execute a remote-erase procedure on the device's memory, then the link would point to nowhere, and your password file would be irretrievable by a 3rd party, even if they recover your unerased SD card.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean, but since the symbolic link would be stored on the SD card, it would just be a pointer into the in-memory filesystem. So if you lose your phone but successfully execute a remote-erase procedure on the device's memory, then the link would point to nowhere, and your password file would be irretrievable by a 3rd party, even if they recover your unerased SD card.
Ah, good question. I wasn't thinking about if the SD card was lost, so you've got a good point for that situation. I was concerned about apps that have access to the SD card. Being fat32, there is no security: all information is available to any app that has read access to the SD card. So I'm assuming that the symlink would also give access to keepass file in the device memory (I'm not sure about this assumption). Granted, this file is still encrypted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones