1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Password Required After I Put in SIM Password!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by CoExGal, Nov 6, 2021.

1. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 on eBay and have had no problems. However, I don’t know if I accidentally clicked on something in my Security Settings, but today, after I put in my SIM password, I got another screen asking me to put in another password, and I never created one to begin with. It is a refurbished unit, so I emailed the Seller on eBay to see if he had a password, but he hasn’t responded yet.

i cannot get into my phone, and if I do a factory reset, I will lose all my data. Is there any default password to use? I have attached a photo of the error message I get. I took a photo of the message with my iPad. Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Again, this message appears after I put in my SIM password.

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

When you reboot the device, how do you normally sign into it?
    I've never heard of a Sim password.

puppykickr and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

puppykickr, Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

it is a feature of SIM cards, that they can be locked with a PIN. This is why carriers issue PUK codes, for if the SIM security PIN is entered incorrectly too many times. This is separate to any PINs, passwords, or pattern locks that might be on the phone itself.

As for the OP's problem, no real ideas. And I don't even know if a factory reset would clear it, and also there's FRP(Factory Reset Protection).

5. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

This is what I get when I restart my Android. Took the photo with my iPad.

Attached Files:

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

Thank you for your replies. I must clarify that the SIM code comes up when I restart my phone, and I know the code. Once I type in the 4-digit code, my phone always worked. However, today this appeared right afterwards, and I never had it come up before. I never set up a password. And I only have 2 more attempts before it does a system reset, which will wipe out all my data.

Attached Files:

7. ocnbrze

Dannydet likes this.
  8. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

Thanks again. However, I get an error message that says my phone is not connected to the network.

Attached Files:

9. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

Update: had to do a factory reset. Thanks to everyone who offered their assistance.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

so the factory update worked?

11. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

Yes. I had two more attempts to sign in with a password, and they both failed, so my phone automatically reset itself. To my surprise, many of my photos were still there, all my phone contacts, and my WhatsApp messages were all there. I now only have to put in my SIM code and nothing else, thanks to all of you for taking the time to help.

12. ocnbrze

awesome!!!!!!! glad it all worked out for you.

weird that it happened......never heard of this happening before. i would have factory reset upon receiving the phone. i would never buy a used phone because of issues like this.

puppykickr and mikedt like this.
  13. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

Yes, buying a used phone has it’s challenges :rolleyes: — but I really do like the phone and glad I didn’t have to pay the full price for a new one.

ocnbrze likes this.
  14. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Android Expert

Yeah welcome in :) Enjoy your stay at our hotel.

ocnbrze likes this.
  15. sctraffic

sctraffic Newbie

Do not put the wrong password or else the PUK lock will be applied.

16. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

LOL what hotel??

17. CoExGal

CoExGal Lurker

This was different from the SIM code. It was another password (see screenshots above). But it did a factory reset and was all sorted.

18. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Android Expert

Message forums is our place to stay in forever. Gee heard of having a heart?