• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Password Required After I Put in SIM Password!

CoExGal

Lurker
Nov 6, 2021
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 on eBay and have had no problems. However, I don’t know if I accidentally clicked on something in my Security Settings, but today, after I put in my SIM password, I got another screen asking me to put in another password, and I never created one to begin with. It is a refurbished unit, so I emailed the Seller on eBay to see if he had a password, but he hasn’t responded yet.

i cannot get into my phone, and if I do a factory reset, I will lose all my data. Is there any default password to use? I have attached a photo of the error message I get. I took a photo of the message with my iPad. Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Again, this message appears after I put in my SIM password.

Attachments

• 1A172540-7EF3-42CE-A628-E5E91ABF5B53.jpeg
    1A172540-7EF3-42CE-A628-E5E91ABF5B53.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 182
When you reboot the device, how do you normally sign into it?
I've never heard of a Sim password.

it is a feature of SIM cards, that they can be locked with a PIN. This is why carriers issue PUK codes, for if the SIM security PIN is entered incorrectly too many times. This is separate to any PINs, passwords, or pattern locks that might be on the phone itself.

As for the OP's problem, no real ideas. And I don't even know if a factory reset would clear it, and also there's FRP(Factory Reset Protection).

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies. I must clarify that the SIM code comes up when I restart my phone, and I know the code. Once I type in the 4-digit code, my phone always worked. However, today this appeared right afterwards, and I never had it come up before. I never set up a password. And I only have 2 more attempts before it does a system reset, which will wipe out all my data.

Attachments

• 71C84353-3A8D-4880-A4DC-FC29F8F324F5.jpeg
    71C84353-3A8D-4880-A4DC-FC29F8F324F5.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

Attachments

• 1409FFFC-24EF-4152-BD3B-BDE2FC1E7EE9.jpeg
    1409FFFC-24EF-4152-BD3B-BDE2FC1E7EE9.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
so the factory update worked?
Yes. I had two more attempts to sign in with a password, and they both failed, so my phone automatically reset itself. To my surprise, many of my photos were still there, all my phone contacts, and my WhatsApp messages were all there. I now only have to put in my SIM code and nothing else, thanks to all of you for taking the time to help.

Upvote 0
Yes. I had two more attempts to sign in with a password, and they both failed, so my phone automatically reset itself. To my surprise, many of my photos were still there, all my phone contacts, and my WhatsApp messages were all there. I now only have to put in my SIM code and nothing else, thanks to all of you for taking the time to help.
awesome!!!!!!! glad it all worked out for you.

weird that it happened......never heard of this happening before. i would have factory reset upon receiving the phone. i would never buy a used phone because of issues like this.

Upvote 0
awesome!!!!!!! glad it all worked out for you.

weird that it happened......never heard of this happening before. i would have factory reset upon receiving the phone. i would never buy a used phone because of issues like this.

Yes, buying a used phone has it’s challenges :rolleyes: — but I really do like the phone and glad I didn’t have to pay the full price for a new one.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yeah welcome in :) Enjoy your stay at our hotel.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones