1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Password stolen after doubleTwist download

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Tom Salicos, May 15, 2011.

1. Tom Salicos

Tom Salicos Lurker

I bought my HTC Inspire on Thursday. Friday I downloaded doubleTwist to my desktop and synced my phone. I had about $22 in my iTunes Store credit from a gift card. Saturday morning I got a receipt for an iTunes download I did not do. "Texas Poker" and a bunch of chips. Somebody got to my account, found out how much balance I had and downloaded enough stuff to leave me with $.04. Nobody else has my password and my wifi is secure.

Seems too much of a coincidence that this happened right after doubleTwist had access to my iTunes stuff.

Anybody else? Of course I'm changing passwords and have notified Apple.
    Tom

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

Coincidence or the other 50,000 installs might have said something before today.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

I didn't think Doubletwist had access to your iTunes credentials.

4. Tom Salicos

Tom Salicos Lurker

I downloaded exactly ONE app - doubleTwist - to my desktop. Oh, and the Autocad app to my phone. Not quite 50,000 as you assume.

Please don't respond if you can't help.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

That was help. DoubleTwist doesn't have access to your iTunes credentials. It reads the XML file that iTunes creates to give it a list of the files in your library.

6. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast

I think he meant the 50,000 installs doubleTwist has had, all of whom have not reported password theft.

I see no reason why having doubleTwist on your phone would have compromised iTunes in any way, despite the coincidence I find it much more likely that your account got hacked some other way.

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Unless you have a strange copy of Doubletwist. According to everyone here - apps on Android don't run unless asked to. Doubletwist kept turning itself on on my SGS4G. I didn't want DT, never set up an account with it, have no internet based music or video account. So why did it turn itself on? (I checked running services and it was listed as running and had no business to be) If it has no account to sync to, then why would it even try to run? Is it set up to try to run if it finds MP3 files on the SD card?
    In hopes that you will sign up for the service? Kind of like a teaser?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I doubt double twist took your info the androids apps have at least fifty thousand downloads each and I checked comments not a one claiming they stole account info. Was there any alcohol or drug use on Friday night or anyone else using your technology? Before you got the desire did you own an iPhone? If so do you still have it or for you get rid of it? If you got rid of it did you make sure to delete all of your info on it? What makes more sense your info getting stolen by an app that hasn't stolen info from tens of thousands of other people or you accidentally failing to secure your info and someone else taking advantage of that? I'm not trying to be harsh but your claim is rather farfetched.

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Some apps do start in the background for no reason they supposedly are not using system resources when they do but poor programming mixed with lack of support and updates along with hard to find settings sometimes lead to this

10. Sombre

Sombre Well-Known Member

I notice you stated you downloaded DoubleTwist to your desktop... what site did you do this from?