• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Past "half life" already!

I switched to sprint in late June. How long does it take to become a premier member?

I'm not an expert, but I believe you just need to reach one of the following qualifications:

-Be an account holder paying more than $69.99/month (if on family plan, only the main line qualifies for yearly upgrades).
-Be with Sprint 10 years or more.

It's pretty much that simple.

Upvote 0
I switched to sprint in late June. How long does it take to become a premier member?
I think 6 months. My account just went Premier. The bad part of it though... 1/yr upgrade is only for the primary line.

I'll probably pick up something at the upgrade time Since my mom is stuck on a Hero. I'll either hook her up with my Evo and buy the new shiney phone or just buy another Evo.

Very happy with my Evo(s).

Upvote 0
In the last 3 years I have had a windows phone (6.0), an iphone 3Gs, a pre (just for a month) and now an EVO. I am very content and don't see anything on the horizon that will tempt me. The only thing that will get me actively out looking is if Sprint jumps on the capped-data band wagon. I am interested to see what happens with webOS though. And fwiw, after my experience with a windows phone, they would have to come up with a $20 a month everything plan for me to ever consider one of those again.

+1

I think 6 months. My account just went Premier. The bad part of it though... 1/yr upgrade is only for the primary line.

If timed right and used correctly you can swap primary lines and take advatanged of the updates.

Upvote 0
One of my family members will get my evo when I upgrade, probably a son, and he will be happy.

However, come this june 4th, I don't see upgrading unless there is a truly better phone out there. Otherwise, I will wait until the next truly inspiring phone comes out for sprint. I would hate to upgrade just because I could, and in August a phone comes out that I would have to wait 10 month's for. I have had my evo for six months, and still don't see another must have phone on the horizon.

If I get bored, I will probably root my phone, and explore all of the benefits I hear people talk about.

The only downer for me would be the release of a new os upgrade that I wouldn't be eligible for that was noteworthy. I am not a tablet or pad fan. The evo is right in my pocket, and can be accessed easily. I don't have an interest in carrying around a pad everywhere I go. When I find a deal on craigslist I will get one, but not to take place of what evo can do. That's me though, and I respect others differ.

Upvote 0
Is there anything on the market that matches the Evo even now? Is there another phone out there that is a hotspot, has a ffc, and is truly 4G? Maybe there is, but I haven't seen it. When the Evo came out, I was all fired up for it. 7 months later, after doing a quick market assessment, I don't see anything that would tempt me away. Other than dual core, what is in the pipeline that even matches the Evo's feature set? Admittedly, I'm not one to upgrade to the new hotness, especially if it will cost me a couple of hundred bucks, so I can easily see me riding out the Evo to the end of it's contract and maybe a bit further.

Upvote 0
Is there anything on the market that matches the Evo even now? Is there another phone out there that is a hotspot, has a ffc, and is truly 4G? Maybe there is, but I haven't seen it. When the Evo came out, I was all fired up for it. 7 months later, after doing a quick market assessment, I don't see anything that would tempt me away. Other than dual core, what is in the pipeline that even matches the Evo's feature set? Admittedly, I'm not one to upgrade to the new hotness, especially if it will cost me a couple of hundred bucks, so I can easily see me riding out the Evo to the end of it's contract and maybe a bit further.

There are a few phones being announced at CES that can compete. The Htc Thunderbolt looks awful nice! I don't see myself leaving Sprint though. I love being able to upgrade every year and their prices are much better.

Upvote 0
Evo is definitely a terrific device that is having better than expected shelf life. Although I've seen some good devices coming out this year, I feel like I still made the right choice with the Evo. The only thing that will tear me away from the Evo is if they come out with an Evo 2 with a bigger screen. Until then I'll be content with what I have and that's a beast of a device!

Upvote 0
With all of the high-end phones still not getting updates to Froyo and others having such lousy update/fix (see GPS woes) records, I'd say we made out like crazy.

No doubt. This is the reason I went witht he evo over the epic. Anyone else see how quiet their forum has gotten recently?

It seems like they're all losing faith in the phone due to the lack of an update.

Upvote 0
No doubt. This is the reason I went witht he evo over the epic. Anyone else see how quiet their forum has gotten recently?

It seems like they're all losing faith in the phone due to the lack of an update.

I don't see it being any quieter there than here. There are a few malcontents bitter over the slow updates, but I wouldn't say they're losing faith.

Upvote 0
Hi there. I'm a newcomer to the Evo experience (bought mine today and love it). We're about three months away from the year anniversary of the Evo, and probably a month away from the announcement of the "next" Sprint flagship phone. With all the phone announced since it's release, do I still own the best phone on the market? How long do you think it will be until it's stats are eclipsed?

Upvote 0
Only way evoII will be better is if it comes with an app thats a chick magnet. I mean, turn the app on, and all chicks within 50 feet start running towards you ripping their shirts off.

I dunno. Im just saying, how much better can it get???? Evo does it all for me. =]

i would give my left nut for that app!
you know.. because my right one is pretty important.

Reactions: Ramzes13
Upvote 0
Can you believe it? Most of us have yearly upgrades, and many of us got the EVO in the first few weeks. I just realized that in under six months I'll be switching phones.

It's been a hell of a ride so far. Wonder if there will even be anything enticing enough to make me switch. I don't think that I will be drooling over another phone's release the way I was for months with the EVO.

LOL! I thought I was the only person who felt that way!! Yeah, upon receiving the Evo, and still to this day, months later, I find it hard to find another phone that will make me as happy as this phone has. I wanted the iPhone ever since it was first announced by Apple...then when I got the Evo...that all changed. I do find it odd that we pay for these phones at prices of $400-$700 then get rid of them in a year or two. I suppose Sprint as well as other carriers, finds ways of forcing us to upgrade such as not allowing people to upgrade from Android X.XX to X.XX+.

Upvote 0
I just went into Sprint yesterday. While I was looking at the Shift, one of the employees walked up next to me and opened the drawer to get one of the Evo's. I asked him which phone was the most popular.....He said the Evo.

The Evo isn't going to fade away any time soon :D
Doesn't matter anyways, I feel nothing will be making me wait in line on opening day like the Evo did. I think I'll stick with it for another year :)

Upvote 0
I think the Evo is still fantastic til this day. I had mine since October and its been a great ride ever since. I do most of my browsing on this device. I rarely touch my PC at home. I watch videos, play games and browse on this little device. At this point I think its suitable enough for me to have it for over a year. I may cop a Tab to kind hold me over for a long while.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much thinking that unless the bizarre occurs, I might finally break down, get the 3500 mAh battery and call it good for another year. :)
That's pretty much the sign of a 'Great' phone... will it last all the way to your EOC?
With a good - read: High-capacity, - battery and a case to hold it, the Evo seems to be 'Great' to me, too...

Upvote 0
Sprint has little if any control on how updated your phone stays, if you're willing to do it yourself. By do it, I mean rooting. By rooting, I mean take almost all the little issues out of the phone.

After posting that, I considered that maybe it might not be entirely Sprint's fault as HTC, Samsung, and other phone companies are also involved and probably make the most money off each phone sold. But still...it is odd that they don't allow us to upgrade firmware while other carriers seem to allow theirs to update. But as I said, Sprint has just started having Android phones so we'll see if it is them or not.

I did root, and I am trying to get Android 2.3 ROM flashed onto my device. Although, it is pretty hard considering I rooted using unrEVOked...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones