• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have a Kyocera hydro shore that I bought new in a 0pen box special. It's an AT&T phone. I had to get a code from them to unlock it so I could use my own sim. It has Android 5.1.1 and I am trying to upgrade to a newer version of Android but everything I try it won't let me update. The update is still saying att is still who does updates but it's unlocked from them so I don't have an account with them. If I could get the phone to boot to the bootloader I can use a custom rom. I have tried holding down all configurations of the buttons but cannot get it to go to where I can load a custom backup changing the Android version. Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? Please help, Paul H Thanks

Is the bootloader unlocked? Do you have a custom recovery? If the answer to both is "no" then you won't be able to install a custom ROM just from booting into the bootloader (which there must be instructions for on the web somewhere).

But if you want another way into the bootloader, enable usb debugging (you'll probably have to unhide the developer options menu first: go into settings, find the build number in the software information and tap on it repeatedly until it tells you you are a developer. Then go into developer options and enable it). Install ADB on a computer, connect via USB, and on the computer use the command "adb reboot bootloader".

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones