• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pay as you go voice and data plans in the USA?

Hello Folks -

I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum. If not - please let me know.

I currently have no phone, though I used to own a G1, and I am an Android fan. The reason I have no phone is that I only occasionally have need for a phone outside of work and home, and I don't enjoy paying $80/month for something that I only use occasionally. At home I use Google Voice.

However, there is that occasion. Maybe a day or a weekend, where I want to take a short trip, and I can't rely on having WiFi available for my laptop. In these instances it would be convenient to have both voice and data available on a mobile device. Does anyone know if any carrier in the U.S. has a prepaid or pay-as-you-go (essentially no monthly fee) for both data and voice? I don't mind paying for it when I want it, but just don't want to pay a monthly fee for something that I might or might not use that month.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello Folks -

I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum. If not - please let me know.

I currently have no phone, though I used to own a G1, and I am an Android fan. The reason I have no phone is that I only occasionally have need for a phone outside of work and home, and I don't enjoy paying $80/month for something that I only use occasionally. At home I use Google Voice.

However, there is that occasion. Maybe a day or a weekend, where I want to take a short trip, and I can't rely on having WiFi available for my laptop. In these instances it would be convenient to have both voice and data available on a mobile device. Does anyone know if any carrier in the U.S. has a prepaid or pay-as-you-go (essentially no monthly fee) for both data and voice? I don't mind paying for it when I want it, but just don't want to pay a monthly fee for something that I might or might not use that month.

Thanks for any advice!
I have an Android Optimus V with Virgin Mobile USA. I have the pay as you go plan: $25 a month for unlimited data and text, with 300 minutes of talk. They also offer pay as you go services. I am quite happy with my 'baby droid:' I think you can still get the Optimus for less than $200, and it has quite a lot of features that more expensive droids offer (with contracts on other carriers, of course).
One of the biggest complaint of most (not me) is the 3G signal - check their map for the signal strength available in your home calling area before you commit. BTW: Virgin Mobile does not offer any sort of call forwarding, so I don't think you can you google voice to port your virgin number - you can use the app as your separate google number, though, for talk and text (that does consume vm talk minutes).

Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile offers a couple fo Android Device,s The Optimus V and the intercept, with a starting plan of $25 a month plan. Comes with 300 minutes, unlimited text, and data. $40 and $60 plans are available with more minutes

Boost Mobile has two androids, the i1 when is a rugged phone, really expensive and ungodly slow on iDEN network. thankfully they introduced the Galaxy Prevail. Boost plans are $50 a month for unlimited everything with shrinkage. Shrinkage, for every six months your bill is paid on time Boost will drop your bill by $5 up to $15 off monthly down to $35 a month for unlimted after 18 months

Walmart's Straight Talk has unlimited for $45 a month but no androids
Walmart's Family Talk mobile has the first phone unlimited at $45 a month, all other phones on the plan $25 a month unlimited. They have one android

Cricket offers an unlimited smartphone plan at $55 with a few androids like the Zio of Optimus C, if you are in their small coverage area

Revol Wireless offers a couple of androids, again if you are in their coverage area

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones