• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paying out of pocket for phone to keep unlimited data

I currently have a Droid X2 (yeah, from gosh....3 years ago) and after moving back to civilization I am due for a new phone.

If I pay for a phone out of pocket my understanding is that I get to keep my unlimited data. However, I keep reading about needing a SIM card with the new phones. My current phone does not have one. Do I have to call to activate my phone? If I do so, will they try to take away my unlimited?

The only reason I've stuck with verizon so long was because they were the only ones with reception in the area I used to live. Now that I am back to a place with coverage and I've kept my unlimited this long I don't want to lose it at the last minute. Really, it is the only thing keeping me at verizon.

There won't be any issues with my old phone and then getting on a 4G network would there?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, Sternesfenris! :hello:
I'm racking my brain about when I got my Bionic, first LTE phone and thus with a SIM whether I had to do any tricks to keep unlimited (coming from an OG Droid). TBO, I don't even know if VZW had scrapped ULD at the time. :eek:
I don't imagine you'll have any issues activating it. I've gotten new SIMs for various devices (Moto X, Gnex, G2) and it's never affected my data plan.
Just be very up front with the salesperson and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Sternesfenris
Upvote 0
If I pay for a phone out of pocket my understanding is that I get to keep my unlimited data.

That.

As long as you don't sign a new contract or subsidize the phone it won't change, just getting a SIM card isn't going to matter.

If your phone doesn't come with a SIM then you can go into a store and have them do it for you, there will be an activation fee but that's it. Just don't let them talk you into a new contract. Or, you can call them and they will send you a new SIM for free and you activate it yourself (my prefered method :) )

You will have to go online and enter the SIM number and new phone numbers (meid/SN) in 'My Verizon'. After that just pop the SIM in and turn the phone on. It's really easy to do, I've done it many times and nothing has changed, ever.

Reactions: Sternesfenris
Upvote 0
Thank you for the information! I plan to use the motomaker so once I get the phone I will just call them up for a SIM then. Just didn't want to get caught paying out of pocket and then they take away my ULD. Especially with the SIM issue, I didn't know if they would try to force me into something because I didn't have one previously.

Upvote 0
I used Motomaker and my Moto X came with a new sim card already installed. I had to call Verizon to activate it (I don't know why it wouldn't work online), but it went smoothly and I still have my unlimited.

Thanks! Makes me feel more comfortable ordering it. Was afraid of some kind of bait and switch or some kind of technicality that would screw me out of UDP. Going to go order it now. :)

Upvote 0
The last Verizon phone I bought on contract was the Galaxy Nexus. I bought my Note 3 last year, and will buy the Note 4 this year (IF Samsung ever gets more Developer Editions in stock... but that's another gripe), full retail.

Just MAKE SURE - VERY SURE - that when they do up all the paperwork, you read it very carefully to make sure that "unlimited web and messaging" is still there in your plan.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones