• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PC Can't interface with Tablet

Question: Was the N7 plugged into the PC when it crashed?

Good question to be asking, but no.

I'd been burning a copy of a DVD. Just doing nothing at all, maybe checking on-line at the same time, and I left the burn to finish, and grab something to eat, came back to find an error message.

I think age caught up to the Hard drive.

Thanks for checking in, it's always good to get idea's from others about any stubborn problem.

This is one that's probably going to get solved that way, cause I'm out of idea's, the earlier attempt to turn OFF debugging, and load ADB drivers seemed promising, since it worked for some others. But not for me unfortunately.

Thanks though.

Upvote 0
Do you think it's possible to recover your info from the HD using Linux?

Or is the thing toast?

I've seen a few instances where an otherwise unresponsive Windows HD was accessible using Linux, and the image was able to be extracted. Maybe you can try that and see if you can recover your info, and clone it to your new HD.

I personally have no idea how to do this, but I bet Mr. Scary does. :)

Upvote 0
Do you think it's possible to recover your info from the HD using Linux?

Or is the thing toast?

I've seen a few instances where an otherwise unresponsive Windows HD was accessible using Linux, and the image was able to be extracted. Maybe you can try that and see if you can recover your info, and clone it to your new HD.

Under certain conditions that's exactly what I would want to try doing.

My reasons for not going that way probably are financial, I got a 360 GB IDE reconditioned hard drive for $27.00, and would probably need to spend twice or three times that to have the dead thing examined. Many years ago I'd set up, separate partitions, and thought, problem solved. Than later, started running multiple hard-drives, WITH multiple partitions, and THAT was the real solution. So in this case, losing the C drive was the loss of some small amount of data, and the OS, while virtually all my years of computer stuff, remained intact and reachable.

So, I'm cutting my losses, and yes, it's TOAST when plugged in ..click,click,click.

Thanks for working that out, though.

Upvote 0
Unrelated to the issue of drivers, I just got the Tablet stuck in a boot loop.

Nothing was working, no combination of buttons etc. was helping.

Remembering a thread I'd read, I pulled the back cover, and than the cable cluster was gently eased away from it's cradle on the side, and that's the equivalent as pulling the battery on your phone. Fired back up, and all is again, as it was.

Whew! The neat thing to notice when involved in that state of "E.R." kind of dealing with survival/trauma of your device, is that none of the small stuff matters. Willingness to toss out the current version of rooted ROM, and even sdcard data if need be, in order for the patient, to live and regain health. That's all that matters.

So, in a 24 hour period, I've had a phalanx of Moderators and High-End willing help, with a problem, and instructions for running a Linux emulation on my PC, I've also popped the back, and pulled the battery on my Nexus 7, (I suppose, I should have yelled CLEAR for the drama of it all).

Life is interesting.

Attachments

• Nexus7BatteryPull.jpg
    Nexus7BatteryPull.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Just wanted to chime in on a couple things.

1. I use Ubuntu's SMB server and ES File Explorer's SMB client to transfer files wireless to/from my devices and computers. I believe Windows share (not sure what it is called exactly) will work the same way. File transfer is pretty quick if you have a fast router ;)

2. @DimBulb The Linux disk you ran is not emulation...it's the real deal. The only difference is that it boots from a cd or usb drive instead of your internal hard drive. So, you ran Linux on your pc :D

3. MTP and Linux (Ubuntu 13.04+ and Mint 15+) get along pretty well if you have udev rules set up for the devices you are trying to connect.

Upvote 0
Hey Super, glad you made it.

As much as I enjoyed the experience, I don't see where I'd find time to embrace full out like you and others have, Linux and all the possibilities that come with it.

Right now, just stuck in my own MENTAL boot loop with this problem.

I keep pulling it down from the shelf, to try some new approach to getting drivers to ACTUALLY connect.

Yesterday, I went to another area in Nexus 7Toolkit, and tried the technique, but this thing is perverse, in just remaining stubbornly unwilling.

As I've indicated, when I've had enough, I'll wipe and start over, but here's the thing, every feature, (practically), in Wuggs tool kit, NEEDS these drivers to install, so it can do the job, like, root, or install anything. Currently it's gotten wiggly, and doesn't fully update, but more importantly, a feature, to uninstall drivers, (Launch USBDeview) isn't working anymore. I intend to e-mail them with questions.

WinXP, gladly installs, or un-installs the ADB, it "see's" and names the device as Nexus 7, than it stubbornly "no comprenda Senore.. por-fur-for?"

And, it's got me wound up too tight to let go. Can't stand being challenged by this desk top, It's gonna lose, but it's gonna suck time from life to get there too.

Here's the REST of the story, (thanks Paul Harvey), my Son gave me this for Christmas, he took and rooted it on the spot, and installed it's grouper nightly, and "SOMEHOW", when I took it to my PC to connect, (like I had with the rooting and connecting I had done with the Warp2), SOMEHOW, I did that ...and I CAN'T remember how? Kick in the teeth huh?

Anyway, I feel so good, that so many heavy hitters have taken a look at this (maybe miner problem), and maybe everyone takes for granted that I know what I'm doing.
I DON'T! A little here, a little there kind-of sank in, but a lot of "other probably important basic stuff" just escapes me.

Thanks.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks Scary,

After looking it over, that HAS to be the problem, AND the fix too. And it's good new's since I had to stop trying to solving that problem, it was too frustrating.

I tried the other idea's that had been shared on several post's.

To transfer files to and from, in my situation, the easiest was to buy an OTG cable, (the one end plugs into the tablet, and the opposite, has a REVERSE USB), and then an 8 GB memory stick.
Memory stick loads with data from USB on the PC, then plugs also into the OTG cable, and with a little AP called StickMount, let's you transfer with ES File explorer.

At best, that does the job. But it's bulky, and it's multi-tasking.

I appreciate you keeping this in mind, and sharing with me, (and everyone else) what looks like such an easy solution.

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Happy New Year everyone,

I stumbled across this fix this morning (Happy New Year to me) and it worked immediately and perfectly.

I'd gone through all the twists and turns of Media Player 11, interface packs, Android USB, etc downloads with no success.

An hour conversation with the people at DejaOffice finally got my tablet syncing with my databases on my laptop but still couldn't see the tablet in Windows.

Here it is. I'm pasting the entire message from another poster on another board. If you are creeped out by editing system files, go ahead and do the edit and save it. leaving the Notepad document open. If it doesn't work for you, just delete what you pasted and you'll be back where you were.

If it works for you like it did for me, your tablet will be visible in My Computer instantly.

Quoted post below:

BTFMoore replied on November 2, 2012See post history
Close
Reply In reply to Iwan Zarembo post on October 1, 2012
Thanks Iwan - I've tried every other solution on google and this is the only one that worked for my nexus 7 on XP.

So I ran "notepad C:\WINNT\inf\wpdmtp.inf" (in hardware manager when my nexus 7 was connected I had a yellow MTP icon) - I've copied/pasted below the whole section that I ended up with - save the file.

Connect your Nexus 7 and in device manager, right click the yellow mtp icon, select update driver, then in the wizard select authomatic (the top default option), let the driver install, all done!

FINAL wpdmtp.inf that work for me:
;
;Device is identified by Microsoft OS descriptor
;If your device does not support it, use specific VID & PID for identification
;
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP
; Nexus 7
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_00

[Generic.NTamd64]
; Nexus 7

Upvote 0
I'm so glad this problem was solved by your diligence and persistence.

Got me hopeful for my own situation. However after placing the text in the same file and running search for the best drivers with the "automatic" command did not load anything new for me. I tried to manually also, with sort of flagging hope's, and sorry to say, choosing the "correct" drivers previously downloaded and tried, made no difference in this case.

Thanks for the effort, and I'm so glad that you were able to find a work around in your situation.

It's frustrating, to lose a simple, and working option. But I've got the OTG cable and memory stick option. So, I'm hobbling around.

Really nice start to the new year, thanks and congratulations.

Upvote 0
Buy the way, I don't get a yellow MTP icon in Hardware/device manager, instead, the ADB for Nexus7 is shown correctly as installed (above), but midway down are yellow "other device's" :
Ethernet Controler, and ..
Multimedia Audio Controller

These I established long ago, ARE the Nexus7, but are not being given what? Correct driver's? It's been a long time, but the drivers it seems, have repeatedly proven to be indigestible by this incarnation of WinXP and Service pack3.

Attachments

• Nexus7DriverFail.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 26
  • BothAndroidsAtOnce.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
Hi Dimbulb,

The only thing I can think of that may have gone wrong is where you inserted the edited text.

Here's a of the lines where I inserted the text. It was right at the top of the file. I left generous space between the original file text and my edit in case I needed to go back and pull it out.

; Installation inf for devices supporting Media Transfer Protocol (MTP)
;
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.
;

FINAL wpdmtp.inf that work for me:
;
;Device is identified by Microsoft OS descriptor
;If your device does not support it, use specific VID & PID for identification
;
[Generic.NTx86]
; Nexus 7

[Generic.NTamd64]
; Nexus 7

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=WPD

I have noticed that the link isn't particularly stable if you are trying to transfer large size or large amounts of files. Best transfers are multiple small ones. When it would hang up, I'd just unplug the tablet, wait for the audible tone that it was dismounted then plug it in again and continue.

BTW, regarding not seeing the yellow MTB icon in device manager, make sure your tablet is pluged in and unlocked while you're attempting this mod.

Good luck and thanks for the feed back.

Let me know if this works for you

Best Regards,

Jim

Upvote 0
Jim,

Again, showing the degree of my willingness to find a solution, :) I tried again. I'd considered the placement earlier, and did a best guess, than got the same response, as I did just now, (being as specific as your description above).

This is being a stubborn puppy in my case. I can't rule out some mis-adventure at some earlier time, (prior to the PC Hard drive failure that may contribute to this problem), and because the NON-connectivity problem arrived only AFTER the new installation of Windows on a new hard drive, may be an assumption on my part??? I'm stumped!

I appreciate your following up and providing that extra information.

Best of luck with the connection remaining stable and hopefully problem free.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
An aside to Scary Alien,

A small series of coincidence's just occurred, that made me so grateful to your on-going contributions here on these forums.

So I found your PayPal link in your app "Root Keeper", and sent a little bit of scratch to say thank you.

I was staring into the abyss. Had root, lost recovery, could not use Wugs with ADB, had no idea really of which move I could "SAFELY" handle this, I knew it was going to take TIME to fix.

You mentioned, somewhere these two word's, "my app" in a sort of off hand way, in a comment.
Than I was Google-ing the Nexus7 problem I had, the choices that were returned were of similar issues and their solutions at XDA site's.

Some comment brought me to the PlayStore, to look for root saver software apps.

Lo and behold, "ANDROID ROOT TOOLKIT" Scary Alien - author.
I grabbed it to the phone to look it over, than tethered the Nexus7, and downloaded it, the menu was much expanded, and guess what?

Got recovery, just like that!

In less time than to write this, I was provided with choice of recovery, and than had that installed to the Tablet with your brilliant app.

What problem? No problem!

Just a token amount, but Mr. Scary Sir, ... again your the guy little children go running TO, not away from.

That kinda mean's your really ... more like ET. :)

But, your secret's safe with me.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
DimBulb,

Thank you very much for the generous donation and kind words :thumbup:.

I've learned and gotten so much out of playing w/Android and meeting and helping (and getting help from) this wonderful community, my apps are simply an extension of trying to give back to everyone, so your gesture and kind words mean very, very much to me and are most appreciated!

Thank you again!

:)

Reactions: DimBulb
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones