• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PC Computer won't recognize my phone!

tktsax12

Lurker
Jul 16, 2012
I'm new to Android and Samsung, I had a Blackberry for a really long time and switched to something more high tech, but it's a little too high tech for me. I just figured out the internal/external memory stuff, but I want to connect my phone to the computer to move stuff on my SD card. but there are two things that won't install on the software, and I don't know why. One of them says CDC Serial, and the other says .SAMSUNG_Android. I don't know what that means or why it won't work, and people are mentions Keis, but my phone came only with Keis Air, I have no idea what that is. Is there a difference? I'm just really lost but I want to move stuff on the card. Help??
this computer I'm using has Windows Vista, does that make a difference?

Thanks,
Tori

While Atmazzz is correct (as he usually is) here is a bit more detailed explanation to help you out.

First Welcome to the forums!!! :)

Second. There are many different ways to transfer things (files) from your computer to your phones. With blackberry as I had one too there is really only one for sure way and that is plugging your phone with the USB to the computer.

1. Plugging phone with USB to the computer - this basically makes your phone like a USB hard disk (or at least that is what the computer thinks it is) and you are allowed to put things on to its memory. If you have a micro sd card it will pull up 2 hard disks - one is the internal memory of the phone and the other will be the sd card.

In order for you to be able to use this method you need to have the drivers for your phone on your computer. Like every hard disk your phone needs drivers. They are contained within the program Samsung has which is similar to Itunes for the iphone. It is called Kies (not Kies air) and Atmazzz gave you the link to install. After you install it you should have all the drivers that are required by the phone. I personally do not use Kies to put things on to my phone because I like a little more control plus I have backups which kies does not like to handle. If you plug in your phone without launching kies (it must be installed) you should get on you phone that it has been plugged into a computer. In the notifications press mount as usb storage and your computer should give you a dialogue box like you have just plugged in a flash drive into it. And voala you have way to access your phone!!!!

2. Transferring files to your phone over a wifi connection. This method does not require you to plug any cables into your phone but it does require your computer and your phone to be on the same wireless network. This is the KIES AIR option. Kies Air - the application that is in your phone when launched (have to be connected to the same wifi as your computer) - your computer can be connected via cable to the router but it has to be to the same network. It gives you an address that you put into your address bar of your browser on your computer. It will look something like this 192.168.1.100:5050 (example). The thing after the colon is the port that the computer will use to connect to your phone. When you type that address your computer will attempt to connect to your phone - you need to have your phone handy to approve the connection (this is done for security purposes). After that KIES AIR springs into action and provides a neat and easy to use interface that you can use to transfer files and photos to and from your phone. Please note that this method is not as fast as the cable because speeds over wifi vary and wifi is not that fast to begin with (but it still works). I suggest if you have something really big like 1gig file don't use the AIR function because it will take long.

3. Possibly the most inconvenient and least complicated way to transfer files is using a micro sd adapter which looks like a regular size sd card to transfer things to your computer and from it of course. What this requires is that you shut your phone off - remove the battery and take out the micro sd card (if you have it) and put it in the adapter and than put it in the card reader of your computer (those usually come standard on laptops but not on desktops) they also usually come standard on printers now a days but not necessary - you need to verify that you have one to use this method. When you plug it in it gives you the same dialogue box on your computer as if you have plugged in a flash drive giving you access to the files on your micro sd card.

Hope I explained some of the ways to make it easier to use your phone with your computer!!!!

Upvote 0
Your thread is very helpful, but I don't think Keis is going to help me. My phone is an LG Optimus L9 P769. I'm trying to pull music from my work computer, which has internet access, but WiFi is not an option. I could get a mini SD reader, but I would like to simply use my USB connection if I can.

I went to the android market website and tried do download the software data cable for my phone, but it said on the sight that it was for MACs only and that a PC shouldn't need it. I opened windows media player, and it doesn't recognize my phone.

What drivers do I need to look for to make this all work?

Thanks for the help thus far. I at least know better questions to ask.
Drachesto

Upvote 0
Hi Tori. Welcome to the forums. :hello:

Download Kies from here and install it on your PC. It will install the drivers you need to use your phone with your PC. You can also use Kies to backup media and contacts and for downloading updates for your phone.

Is this link still valid, because I am having the same CDC Serial error when I connect my phone to my pc. All of the other drivers are green checked except the CDC Serial.
When I go to the link and click on Download for Windows (I'm running Windows 7), it tries to load the page, but I get the Problem Loading Page error. I'm looking to root later, but want to make sure I have everything in the pc needed.

Upvote 0
Is this link still valid, because I am having the same CDC Serial error when I connect my phone to my pc. All of the other drivers are green checked except the CDC Serial.
When I go to the link and click on Download for Windows (I'm running Windows 7), it tries to load the page, but I get the Problem Loading Page error. I'm looking to root later, but want to make sure I have everything in the pc needed.

Yes, I just tried the link and it goes to the Samsung Kies site.

Something else you might try also. Check this link for installing ADB. It will install ADB some Google USB drivers that may help. ADB is good to have around anyway for future use.

Upvote 0
Yes, I just tried the link and it goes to the Samsung Kies site.

Something else you might try also. Check this link for installing ADB. It will install ADB some Google USB drivers that may help. ADB is good to have around anyway for future use.

Will I be able to root without CDC Serial? I'm anxious to get rid of all this bloatware?

Upvote 0
Honestly I don't even know what CDC serial is. You can try going here:

SEARCH SAMSUNG

Input the info for your phone, download those drivers and try them. Can you still connect to your PC even with the error? You can check my root guide sticky in the all things root forum. Just try the part to see if Odin lights up the yellow com port section. If it does you're fine. You can just power off your phone and reboot after that if you want to wait until later to root.

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0

SEARCH SAMSUNG

Input the info for your phone, download those drivers and try them. Can you still connect to your PC even with the error? You can check my root guide sticky in the all things root forum. Just try the part to see if Odin lights up the yellow com port section. If it does you're fine. You can just power off your phone and reboot after that if you want to wait until later to root.

That's the thing. I can connect, and do everything I normally do through usb. I'm just going that when I start to root, the missing CDC Serial cost cause any problems. I just got this phone yesterday. If hate to have a paperweight as an early Christmas gift.

Upvote 0

SEARCH SAMSUNG

Everything I needed was there.
Thanks. Now, I'm off & running.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Well, THAT was a complete waste of time. Kies. It took forever to install, and once I got it, it did absolutely nothing. I can see the files on the SD card, just like before, but I can't see the internal folders where the camera stores photos. I un-installed it. This is all from something I did a week or two ago, I suspect, I cannot find the thing I changed, but ever since then the phone (Motorola Razr V) has been of less use. An app I have will no longer run if the USB cable is attached, but that is not the end of the world.

I will have to poke around some more to see if I can figure out what setting I changed that prevents XP from seeing the internal files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones