• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PC Crashed during Kies ICS Update

Tye

Aug 5, 2009
South East England
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or can shed some light on my situation.

My SGS2 is from O2 but is unlocked (via an unlock code from the 'net) and is not rooted. I plugged it into Kies and was prompted of a firmware update that was available (LP4) so I proceeded to update.

I do not remember the exact percentage that the process "had suddenly stopped working" but it was around 40% I think, after which Kies went back to the home screen and my phone was stuck on a black screen with an image of a phone and computer with a yellow triangle between them.

I waited a while and nothing happened so I switched the phone off and back on again and it booted up with ICS loaded on it, except that the camera and gallery didn't work. Several restarts later and they now work, intermittently.

My assumption is that my SD card was too full to properly update the firmware so my question is this, now that I've cleared some space is there a way of reverting back to my previous firmware and trying the update again?

I'm sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help. :)

In case anyone else has the aforementioned problem, I can confirm that while the flashing of ICS using Odin went fine, it did not change the situation at all. My phone is still as buggy and as likely to crash as it was before the manual flashing.

I guess I can only hope that when an updated version is released, that it will fix the problems.

Thank you all for your help though.

Upvote 0
I hope that you did a full wipe and factory reset of your phone before and after you flashed the firmware via Odin.
If not then try again with a full wipe, if the problem is software related as in arising from improper update then it should be absolutely resolved by updating via Odin.

Full wipe guide.

O2 ICS update:
You could download and install the official O2, ICS, firmware from post #2, here:-

[All Official ICS Firmwares] I9100XWLP7 (4.0.3) - Russia (SER) [10-4-12] - xda-developers

and flash it to your phone using Odin and the instructions in post #1.

Upvote 0
@Tye
As far as I know of your problem you had no backup (other than a kies backup perhaps) before you started flashing. And you have already had two attempts to update the firmware.
According to me you have no data on your phone to backup in the first place, am I right? :p
I would advise you to skip the preparation section of the full wipe guide and straight away go into the full wipe section.

For future reference you can use the following apps to manage your backups without root, but I must say that the most powerful and versatile backup restore solutions will always require root.
Backup Contacts
SMS Backup & Restore
SMS Backup +
App Backup and Restore (Read the description to understand use and limitations since it is a non root app)

All the mentioned apps are free and do not require you to be rooted.
I personally use the first three alongwith Titanium Backup for all my backup needs.

Also use your google account to sync most of your info with google servers.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi both, I did indeed have data on my phone as I've owned it for the best part of a year. Kies did mention making a back up before the update process but I wasn't able to restore my phone once the update crashed mid-way.

I feel that a full wipe followed by flashing ICS using Odin might do the trick. If the only information that would be lost is texts, bookmarks and settings then I have no issue with losing that. If however it wipes all of the internal memory then that would cause a bit of a problem.

Upvote 0
A full wipe does not delete the contents of the internal memory. It is all explained in the guide I linked to.

@jeremy_inc
I know that many people do that and that's why they land up with problems in the first place. I am sure that none of the data is useful or even possible to be backed up now because he has already gone through a partial update through Kies and a subsequent flash via Odin. Hence the assumption.

@Tye
You will lose your internal SD data only if you use the following code *2767*3855# to factory reset the phone. Use this code only as a last resort this will wipe all internal sd data.
On the other hand the other methods given in the guide shall not delete your data. Go ahead and wipe, hopefully this will solve your phone issue.

Upvote 0
Hi

Just to say that I had notification on my phone earlier today to advise of the ICS update. It was fine until it reached 67% when it showed 'connection failure' and stopped. The phone was fine but now no update shows as being due and I don't know how to get the update back either.

I am wondering if there is a problem as I have read of similar happening to others.

Upvote 0
I hope your problem has now been rectified Tye.

Just to say that my service centre would not update my phone, they suggested resetting the phone back to factory settings and then checking for updates again. I did not want to do this but luckily ICS reappeared as an update yesterday!

Good luck with yours Tye.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones