1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PC Crashed during Kies ICS Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tye, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or can shed some light on my situation.

My SGS2 is from O2 but is unlocked (via an unlock code from the 'net) and is not rooted. I plugged it into Kies and was prompted of a firmware update that was available (LP4) so I proceeded to update.

I do not remember the exact percentage that the process "had suddenly stopped working" but it was around 40% I think, after which Kies went back to the home screen and my phone was stuck on a black screen with an image of a phone and computer with a yellow triangle between them.

I waited a while and nothing happened so I switched the phone off and back on again and it booted up with ICS loaded on it, except that the camera and gallery didn't work. Several restarts later and they now work, intermittently.

My assumption is that my SD card was too full to properly update the firmware so my question is this, now that I've cleared some space is there a way of reverting back to my previous firmware and trying the update again?

I'm sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help. :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

As far as I know the update doesn't use any of your SD card, it's a purely internal update so I don't think that's your problem. I can't advise you about the crash as I haven't had much to do with flashing these, I'm sure someone will be along to help with that.

3. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

4. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

In order to flash using Odin, do you have to root the phone?

5. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

No... not at all.

6. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Ok, thank you very much for your help, I shall attempt to flash it now.

7. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

In case anyone else has the aforementioned problem, I can confirm that while the flashing of ICS using Odin went fine, it did not change the situation at all. My phone is still as buggy and as likely to crash as it was before the manual flashing.

I guess I can only hope that when an updated version is released, that it will fix the problems.

Thank you all for your help though.

8. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

I hope that you did a full wipe and factory reset of your phone before and after you flashed the firmware via Odin.
    If not then try again with a full wipe, if the problem is software related as in arising from improper update then it should be absolutely resolved by updating via Odin.

Full wipe guide.

O2 ICS update:

9. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Hi Forbidden, I did not do a full wipe before flashing ICS because I thought that in order to use Titanium Back up, you had to root your phone.

My phone is not rooted and I was trying to avoid rooting it if possible.

Is there another way to back up everything before the wipe?

10. Forbidden 403

@Tye
    As far as I know of your problem you had no backup (other than a kies backup perhaps) before you started flashing. And you have already had two attempts to update the firmware.
    According to me you have no data on your phone to backup in the first place, am I right? :p
    I would advise you to skip the preparation section of the full wipe guide and straight away go into the full wipe section.

For future reference you can use the following apps to manage your backups without root, but I must say that the most powerful and versatile backup restore solutions will always require root.
    Backup Contacts
    SMS Backup & Restore
    SMS Backup +
    App Backup and Restore (Read the description to understand use and limitations since it is a non root app)

All the mentioned apps are free and do not require you to be rooted.
    I personally use the first three alongwith Titanium Backup for all my backup needs.

Also use your google account to sync most of your info with google servers.

Hope this helps.

11. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

What makes you think he has no data on his phone? You can update firmware to ICS without wiping your phone, as I'm sure the majority of people updating via kies do.

I would have thought reflashing the firmware over the top would have helped too, one of your apps must be causing a conflict somewhere

12. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Hi both, I did indeed have data on my phone as I've owned it for the best part of a year. Kies did mention making a back up before the update process but I wasn't able to restore my phone once the update crashed mid-way.

I feel that a full wipe followed by flashing ICS using Odin might do the trick. If the only information that would be lost is texts, bookmarks and settings then I have no issue with losing that. If however it wipes all of the internal memory then that would cause a bit of a problem.

13. Forbidden 403

A full wipe does not delete the contents of the internal memory. It is all explained in the guide I linked to.

@jeremy_inc
    I know that many people do that and that's why they land up with problems in the first place. I am sure that none of the data is useful or even possible to be backed up now because he has already gone through a partial update through Kies and a subsequent flash via Odin. Hence the assumption.

@Tye
    You will lose your internal SD data only if you use the following code *2767*3855# to factory reset the phone. Use this code only as a last resort this will wipe all internal sd data.
    On the other hand the other methods given in the guide shall not delete your data. Go ahead and wipe, hopefully this will solve your phone issue.

14. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

From what that guide tells me, I will only be losing my apps (Which can be re-downloaded by logging into my Google account). I shall try the full wipe / flashing as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help and I apologise for my lack of knowledge.

15. Forbidden 403

Always there to help. And please do not apologise, we all learnt slowly from our mistakes, none of us is omniscient.

16. Loribee

Loribee Newbie

Hi

Just to say that I had notification on my phone earlier today to advise of the ICS update. It was fine until it reached 67% when it showed 'connection failure' and stopped. The phone was fine but now no update shows as being due and I don't know how to get the update back either.

I am wondering if there is a problem as I have read of similar happening to others.

17. Forbidden 403

@Loribee try to update via Kies on your PC

18. Loribee

Loribee Newbie

Thank you Forbidden, I have just tried this but it shows no updates at all. To be honest I don't know if the updates would show up automatically or need to be prompted (?).

I connected with the USB cable.

19. Forbidden 403

In that case I would recommend downloading the firmware to your PC and flashing via Odin

20. Loribee

Loribee Newbie

Thank you. After Googling your suggestion it looks a little complex for me unfortunately.

I appreciate your help Forbidden.

21. Forbidden 403

@Loribee

dial *#1234# from your phone and post the 4 lines that you see, and tell your region and carrier.

I shall post a simple guide for you, trust me it's not very complicated. Everyone can learn right :)

p.s. if you are on warranty you can always take it to your service center and ask them to update it for you

Loribee likes this.
  22. Loribee

Loribee Newbie

That's amazing kindness Forbidden, thank you.

My phone is still in warranty so I shall try that port of call first. If they cannot update it I will re-post with necessary details if that's ok.

Thank you so much!

23. Loribee

Loribee Newbie

I hope your problem has now been rectified Tye.

Just to say that my service centre would not update my phone, they suggested resetting the phone back to factory settings and then checking for updates again. I did not want to do this but luckily ICS reappeared as an update yesterday!

Good luck with yours Tye.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews