• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PC Diagnostics

pasqo83

Dec 26, 2011
Hi,

I am looking to do repair services on computers, I have a good knowledge of spyware/adware, problem solving and networking etc...

What I wanted to find out which I have never done and would like to try was how do shops sort out their computers, what diagnostic tools do they use and what do they plug it into to "Diagnose" faults on computers, hardware and software related.

Do they simply go by experience and process of elimination or do they have a made computer that will assist and speed the process.

I am just interested to know how they function as the way I work always work and just interested to know if there were more ways of cutting time without cutting quality when it comes to diagnostic checks for hardware and diagnostics for spyware and system re-installs.

Thanks all :)

Dell and HP provide pre-built system diagnostic tools. Home-brew or custom-built in a shop, it's as much previous experience as having alternate parts to swap in for testing. Some things, such as memory, have 3rd-party tools that can be used, such as MemTest. Many HDD manufacturers also have diagnostic tools available. Video card, CPU, MB, go on experience and part exchange for testing.

Upvote 0
Thanks yeah, I have a list of programmes I use and I have never ever had any issues of fixing any computers with them. I was interested to know if computer shops had any special tools to speed up the process, it appears not from the sounds of it, just charging people alot of money really.

I am just in the middle of creating my own business so planning to database issues so if I come up with any issues then its just a quick search into the database and will assist me with future computers.

Now just trying to find items at traders price which is tricky (such as OS and other Microsoft packages)

Upvote 0
I'm a founder member of this forum...
Podnutz Forums • Index page
It's all about computer repair, PC, Mac, Windows, Linux, malware removal, trouble shooting, etc. Very much everything you need to know.

Thanks, I am looking at this right now. Yeah I do use CCleaner and other software all which are free but the funny thing is I have tackled every virus spyware / adware without the need of purhcasing goods.

Good thing is I haven't charged at the moment but planning to so I want to make sure I am above board with the law.

Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0
What you can do is to grab few things like a docking station which you will use as external drive and plug it to your main computer equipped with a good antivirus program, anti malware too. From there you will be able to diagnose and clean any infected hard drive. Just make sure to update your software.

I disagree about cleaning an infected hard drive without it being in the computer. I find that to be extremely ineffective as you miss any registry keys containing infections that way. All you get is flat files.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
If you want the honest truth, most computer "repair", and I can't use that term loosely enough, shops just format the drive and reinstall the OS and all your programs, and then charge a boatload of money for it. It's incredibly stupid. You can have your computer cleaned of viruses faster, more efficiently, and for free many other ways.

Upvote 0
If you want the honest truth, most computer "repair", and I can't use that term loosely enough, shops just format the drive and reinstall the OS and all your programs, and then charge a boatload of money for it. It's incredibly stupid.

It's not really stupid, they're running a business. Formatting and reinstalling the OS plus applications, run the updates, etc. takes a set amount of time. They know it's going to take say two hours, computer is working as it should, that's it job done.

You can have your computer cleaned of viruses faster, more efficiently, and for free many other ways.

Removing a viruses and malware can be easy, often it can be hard and very time consuming. I've seen so-say techs struggling all day to remove viruses and malware from a PC, using things like C-cleaner, MalwareBytes, registry cleaners, rootkit detectors etc, they still got trouble, and I've seen a lot of this here. Also if the virus or malware has damaged and/or deleted system files, you might end having to reinstall the OS anyway. Customers will probably get upset if one charges them 8 hours labour at say $50-$80 USD an hour, for removing viruses. Certainly not good for your business's cash flow if one is charging a fixed price for virus cleaning.

If you want to spend all day removing malware from a friend's or family's computer, that's your time, you're doing it as a favour and for the love it.

BTW If I've got an infected Chinese XP computer to deal with, I will reformat and reinstall, that's it....end of. Basically "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Upvote 0
As far as actual tools (which I think was your original question) you need the following:

Brain
Screwdriver
Needle nose pliers
Wire stripper
Punchdown tool
Network crimping tool

The last three are really only needed if you're doing networking work. The pliers are only needed if you have a tendency to drop things in small spaces and not be able to retrieve them. The screwdriver and brain are mandatory.

Reactions: Remeniz and pasqo83
Upvote 0
Also use a POST (power on self test) card if the computer has a PCI slot... for the times when the computer doesn't want to quite boot. Go to amazon.com and enter "POST diagnostic card" (in the "Computer & Accessories" section) for some examples. bye

Completely disagree. Never in my life have I ever used a POST card. Never in my life have I ever seen someone use a POST card. Never in my life have I ever seen someone suggest the usage of a POST card. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Completely disagree. Never in my life have I ever used a POST card. Never in my life have I ever seen someone use a POST card. Never in my life have I ever seen someone suggest the usage of a POST card. YMMV.

I was looking at the POST card but never used one. I guess it is a good tool to see at what point the PC is hanging from what part of the POST instead of doing the elimination process. It simply cuts time down, this will be down to when you have sheer volume of computers that requires work doing to without the lag time of finding out the cause.

I think it is a good tool imo.

Upvote 0
You can remove just about any virus in 2-3 hours.

I take it you've never had to deal with pirated Win XP - IE6 machines in China then, there is many of them are here, along with probably one of the most useless AVs ever created Qihoo 360.
www.360.cn

The majority of them you can get in an hour or less. Nuking a computer is the easiest way to do things so that's what most people do.

That's certainly what I do now. It's the only way to be sure.`:)

Why make it hard for yourself?

Upvote 0
I was looking at the POST card but never used one. I guess it is a good tool to see at what point the PC is hanging from what part of the POST instead of doing the elimination process. It simply cuts time down, this will be down to when you have sheer volume of computers that requires work doing to without the lag time of finding out the cause.

I think it is a good tool imo.

The elimination process takes less time that it takes to find your POST card, put it in and then look up whatever code it gives. You can crack the cover, press the power button and just by watching get a pretty good idea of why it's not posting. Give me a computer that won't POST for whatever reason. I'll bet I can do the process of elimination and figure out why it won't POST faster than you can with your POST card.

Upvote 0
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say removing most viruses except the most persistent ones, e.g.; Sality and pardon my spelling if I messed that up, is quite easy with tools like OTL. If you know what you're doing.
Also, no, it isn't the only way to be sure. I have yet to find a virus that can hide from OTL. I know many that can survive reformats.

There are some that can hide in the BIOS and survive anything short of a BIOS re-flash, but I do agree that a reformat will fix 99% of them. But burning my house to the ground will fix my ant problem too. Seems a little extreme though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones