• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PC is finding to many pics on my phone

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
When I connect my X to the computer it finds over 3,000 pictures and prompts me to import them to my computer. The problem is, my phone does not contain 3,000 + pictures, I cleaned my phone up a few months back. So, I have noticed it is finding all images related to all the different roms I have had on my phone..i.e. MIUI, Liberty...etc.

So, is there a way to force my computer to only see the REAL pictures I have taken and not all these extras icons and images?

you need .nomedia files. Either download this file onto your phone if you have and know how to use a file explorer like Explorer or Root explorer... or if not, just download this to your desktop...extract it... and move the .nomedia file into whatever folder you dont want your phone reading. When its looking for media... it will see the .nomedia file and move along....

so basically if all of your photos and videos are in DCIM or in Download... put the .nomedia file in everything but there.

For the most part, I would put a .nomedia file in
/sdcard/Android/data/.nomedia
/sdcard/data/.nomedia
If you actually have images that are not pictures in /sdcard/ then might as well put a /.nomedia file there.

I am surprised you do not have a .nomedia file. Thats been a common implement in ROMS since Froyo or before.

After youve got the .nomedia files in there, reboot your phone and then mount to the computer and youll only see your pictures.

I am such a :(noob:rolleyes: here I cant paste links...

h tee tee pee db. tt/ eS1 bG2 0f (obviously delete all spaces in here) its same .nomedia file but its not zipped.

View attachment .nomedia.zip

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
it should be in the DCIM folder or soomething similar to that

Yeah, I know. I meant difficult when using the auto import thingy Windows has when you connect a device or memory card...sorry I wasn't clear on that :)

I usually manually do it, but when Windows does it, then it auto numbers them and little less crazy. When I manually do it, sometimes the file numbers run the same and have to deal with that...just more cumbersome to manually do it.

Thanks libs!

No don't have no.media and never heard of it either...thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones