1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root PC is finding to many pics on my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Dec 11, 2011.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    When I connect my X to the computer it finds over 3,000 pictures and prompts me to import them to my computer. The problem is, my phone does not contain 3,000 + pictures, I cleaned my phone up a few months back. So, I have noticed it is finding all images related to all the different roms I have had on my phone..i.e. MIUI, Liberty...etc.

So, is there a way to force my computer to only see the REAL pictures I have taken and not all these extras icons and images?

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    its all stored by cache inside the SD card, the only way to remove them all is to wipe the sd card.

it only stores them to make accessing website much easier and faster. and it stores the images from miui and cm7 for that same reason

3. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    you could try copying your sd card contents into a folder on your pc. Then through your phone re format your sd, once its done copy the contents back over to the SD.

4. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will work on it. Very difficult to try and import just my pics and videos I have taking.

5. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    it should be in the DCIM folder or soomething similar to that

6. libs

libs Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    android addict
    boston
    you need .nomedia files. Either download this file onto your phone if you have and know how to use a file explorer like Explorer or Root explorer... or if not, just download this to your desktop...extract it... and move the .nomedia file into whatever folder you dont want your phone reading. When its looking for media... it will see the .nomedia file and move along....

so basically if all of your photos and videos are in DCIM or in Download... put the .nomedia file in everything but there.

For the most part, I would put a .nomedia file in
    /sdcard/Android/data/.nomedia
    /sdcard/data/.nomedia
    If you actually have images that are not pictures in /sdcard/ then might as well put a /.nomedia file there.

I am surprised you do not have a .nomedia file. Thats been a common implement in ROMS since Froyo or before.

After youve got the .nomedia files in there, reboot your phone and then mount to the computer and youll only see your pictures.

I am such a :(noob:rolleyes: here I cant paste links...

h tee tee pee db. tt/ eS1 bG2 0f (obviously delete all spaces in here) its same .nomedia file but its not zipped.

View attachment .nomedia.zip

darkcyber likes this.
  7. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Yeah, I know. I meant difficult when using the auto import thingy Windows has when you connect a device or memory card...sorry I wasn't clear on that :)

I usually manually do it, but when Windows does it, then it auto numbers them and little less crazy. When I manually do it, sometimes the file numbers run the same and have to deal with that...just more cumbersome to manually do it.

Thanks libs!

No don't have no.media and never heard of it either...thanks for the tip.

8. libs

libs Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    android addict
    boston
    mind if i ask what ROM you are running? The only ROM i know where there are no .nomedia files are in MIUI and I have no idea why they dont put it in there. However if you are on MIUI you *may* need to delete them in the MIUI folders...

9. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i dont think you can stop windows from doing it in all honesty, unless you delete the stored cached ones, they will always come up unfortunately