• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PC Mag: Samsung Galaxy Tab sold just 20,000 out of 1M

I love Android but Samsung needs to stop lying about their sales figures. this is embarrassing.

An executive at Android tablet maker Lenovo claims that Samsung sold only 20,000 of the 1m tablets that it shipped last year as it tried to "buy share" from market leader Apple.

The dramatically low figure suggests that Samsung's efforts with its first 7-inch tablet, launched exactly a year ago, fell far short of targets.
Lenovo: Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales 20K, not 2 Million | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Samsung Galaxy Tab sold just 20,000 out of 1m shipped, claims rival | Technology | guardian.co.uk

"Samsung said at the end of 2010 that it had shipped 1m of its 7-inch Galaxy devices, "

"Samsung has never given details of the actual sales"

Samsung did sell 1 million Tabs... To retailers. Sell through was only 20,000. And I've heard there was as high as a 20% return rate on those that did sell to customers. A complete and utter failure any way you look at it.

The 10.1 should sell much better... In those markets it can sell, that is, due to legal issues. Personally, I thought the Transformer was much smoother than the 10.1 Tab, but I hope ICS gets rid of the lag in Honeycomb for all Android tablets. And I hope the Touchdroid team get it ported over to my Touchpad soon!

Upvote 0
I think the Lenovo guy who said this is lying. There is no way to know what Samsung's actual figures are. But they never had any confidence in the device anyway, which means a low initial run, and everything else is shipped as an order or repeat order. One thing that is clear was that the Hummingbird chip was in tight supply due to the Galaxy S and the fact that Samsung also supplies all of the Apple products which includes the iPad and iPod Touch whose sales would surge around the holiday season.

Samsung isn't known for channel stuffing and you're going to lose a lot of money because the retailers can return unsold stock. Retailers won't stock a lot anyway, due to the initial high cost of the device.

I have known personally at least 5 people who has the Galaxy Tab.

For what its worth, sales of the Tab would have tailed off by February when Honeycomb was announced. But for sure it has did leave the impression that 7" is a valid tablet form factor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones