• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps PC or Mac?

chucky

Lurker
Nov 27, 2009
Just wondering what others are using to develop Android apps.

I use my MacBook Pro for iPhone development and am considering using it for Android as well.

I have Eclipse and Android stored on my work Dell laptop and it seems to be working ok.

Has anyone seen any issues with developing for Android on a mac?
Anyone know what type of machine the Google engineers used to develop Android on?

Thanks,

I would recommend Linux as a dev OS of first choice. Especially the new Ubuntu it is really cool, and if you have not checked out the new features in Ubuntu 10 then you have been missing out.

they are really bringing some cool thing to it.

for example:

-Music store
-Gwibber social
-Ubuntu one account (file, bookmark etc. sync)
-Ubuntu Software Centre

etc.
and Eclipse works really well on it.

link Features | Ubuntu

Upvote 0
I primarily use Mac for Android development. Eclipse uses a huge amount of memory and is pretty slow, I don't know if it's any better on Linux or Windows.

I do need to use Linux for some things, like compiling parts of Android using the system build method rather than the sdk or ndk. But most people don't need to do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones