1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PC sees only 115 MB of 8GB SD N2A card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cadenza, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Cadenza

Cadenza Lurker

I run CM7 on a SD card and I have updated NC to new version 1.4.1. in the emmc - I use dual boot. The problem I'm having is that I cannot see/access the 8GB SD card (the memory card was bought from the internet, it's an original n2a card), as follows:
    - if I boot NC 1.4.1, my PC sees two drives (E:MyNookColor and F: where it is the 8 GB SD card). However, the F: drive - 8GB SD card is seen only as having the capacity of 115 MB, the rest of 6.8 GB is not seen and I cannot copy/paste any file from PC to it.
    - if I boot CM7 from the SD card, my PC is trying to install driver software, prompts me to insert the disk (obviously, I don't have it) and finally there's a message "Windows was unable to install your NookColor. Windows could not find driver software for your device".

I think this problem has started after I updated to version 1.4.1 though, since I have dual boot system, should it matter?
    Anyway, I am most unhappy - I already had no access to 6 GB of NC's internal memory blocked for B&N content (I'm not from US and consequently I am not able to purchase anything from B&N store), now I cannot access the SD card either.
    If anyone could help me, I would be most grateful!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Cadenza

Cadenza Lurker

Problem solved. Sorry for the stupid question! All I had to do was to "turn on USB storage" from control menu on the bottom screen.

3. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

That's called the status bar. :D

Glad you figured it out.

4. Cadenza

Cadenza Lurker

I am wondering though why I do not see the full 8GB SD card when I boot NC 1.4.1 - neither under Settings=>Device Info=>SD Card=>SD Card memory it shows "xxMB free of 116MB", nor under Library=>My Stuff=>My Files=>Memory Card? The same when I connect via a USB cable to the PC, I can only see 116MB. Why is that?

5. colchiro

Depends on a lot of stuff, like how the card is partitioned (split into 4 sections). 116 gb is just one partition.

8 gb isn't big enough for my use. Your NC comes with 8gb internal and I ran out of space with an 8 gb external sdcard (16 gb total) after backing up the rom a few times. I'd have to have a bigger one to put it all on one card.

6. Cadenza

Cadenza Lurker

Thank you, Colchiro! To me, the entire 8 GB of Nook's internal memory are all lost, as I mentioned above - not being from the States, I cannot d/l and purchase anything from B&N store. I noticed a topic here about repartitioning and this would help me a lot in gaining additional space but I'm afraid to try it. Why did you say that you "backed up the rom a few times"? What was the purpose of it?

7. colchiro

Every time I install a new rom (or a nightly build), I back up my current rom. If there's a problem with that version, or a bad apps misbehaves, I can reload my backup. I usually have a backup no more than 2 weeks old that I can restore. On my phone (MIUI rom), it's been a necessity.

When you installed your rom, was one of the requirements to delete the 4th partition and recreate it (to fill the rest of the space)? That space could be 4 to 20 gb, depending on the size of your card. This is the partition you'd use to store data.

I've never done (or wanted/needed) a rom on my sdcard so that's just a guess.