• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PC studio with Linux?

I've been meaning to investigate on how the currently distributed tar images differ from the ones inside an update.zip and possibly make a quick converter for the packages. It shouldn't be too difficult, the only problem currently is that the image inside the update.zip is different from the image inside the tar package and i haven't had the time to investigate how to convert them.

After creating an update.zip, it's just a matter of using the recovery image (that has been circling aroud) to update the phone with the update package.

One option is to use nandroid to backup the image after flashing with odin and bundling that as an update.zip, but there has to be an easier way =)

Upvote 0
You'll probably find your answer on xda developers. If I'm not mistaken, once you get the files out of the images, just put them in a zip and use the signing tool on the zip.

It's not that straightforward. The image files don't appear to be interchangeable. Apparently the images within the tar package lack some header but that should be easy to find out, as soon as i get some time to do that =)

One also needs to create the update script that is shipped within the update.zip to write the data to the phone.

It should be relatively simple to convert the image from the tar package to an image that is suitable for direct flashing, but it just needs to be figured out.

Oh and the update.zip method is known as fastboot.

Well, fastboot can be used to push images to the phone, which is used to update the recovery image and so on. The update.zip method is called OTA updates. Terminology is not important, but being able to flash the phone from linux is ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones