• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PDAnet tethering to xbox live, and vista

Okay so using 3g won't work too well...but how about using wifi instead? My wireless adapter just crapped out and I have no means to connect to xbox live. Would using my phone's wifi capabilities work?

yes it will work, i got my neighbor to let me use his wifi until i get my cable internet back on, and its working perfectly, he even allowed my to open ports and edit the MTU settings. So my setup is
WIFI>phone>computer>xbox viola!!

--but for 3G, youd have to hook the xbox to a router, then to the computer, the computer being the source if you get what i mean, and configure the router. but its a pain to do.

And to the guy whining about people ruining stuff for everyone because tethering, go cry somewhere else. Your worthless feedback is a waste of time to read.

Upvote 0
And to the guy whining about people ruining stuff for everyone because tethering, go cry somewhere else. Your worthless feedback is a waste of time to read.

Hah. I am the guy wasting your time. I am glad I did. The least I can do if you are "ruining stuff" for the rest of us. I find it to be rather worthy in my opinion. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do! :D

Sent Using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Hah. I am the guy wasting your time. I am glad I did. The least I can do if you are "ruining stuff" for the rest of us. I find it to be rather worthy in my opinion. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do! :D

Sent Using Tapatalk

Actually I'm not ruining anything. I called tmobile to make sure if i could rack up overages or extra fee's of any kind by tethering, and my answer was "We do NOT charge extra fee's for data usage via tethering unless you DO NOT have an unlimited data plan sir"

There ya go. So stop your complaining. You should have been the one to do the research before accusing people. But i did it for you and proved you wrong. I dont know about Vwireless users, but now i have a reason to like tmobile.

Upvote 0
Actually I'm not ruining anything. I called tmobile to make sure if i could rack up overages or extra fee's of any kind by tethering, and my answer was "We do NOT charge extra fee's for data usage via tethering unless you DO NOT have an unlimited data plan sir"

There ya go. So stop your complaining. You should have been the one to do the research before accusing people. But i did it for you and proved you wrong. I dont know about Vwireless users, but now i have a reason to like tmobile.

Pretty sure you have to have a tethering plan to compliment your data plan to be covered. Also depends on how you asked the question.

And here's a simple challenge.

To everyone breaking thier ToS and tethering without paying, I dare you to call your cs, and explain to them what your doing. If you don't think it's wrong, and that they won't do anything to you, then you have nothing to fear, now do you?

Upvote 0
Pretty sure you have to have a tethering plan to compliment your data plan to be covered. Also depends on how you asked the question.

And here's a simple challenge.

To everyone breaking thier ToS and tethering without paying, I dare you to call your cs, and explain to them what your doing. If you don't think it's wrong, and that they won't do anything to you, then you have nothing to fear, now do you?

My chat with a tmobile representative:
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to _Amanda S.
_Amanda S: Hi Valentino , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. I

Upvote 0
Because you said

I wanted to clarify that its not against ToS for tmobile users, and because others dont seem to believe me either. Lets get past it now.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon. He thanked me for asking, and said it DID violate the contract. He went further to say that the company can tell when data is being used as a dial up network, but seemed hesitant when he talked to me. I'm thinking that he was giving me the "textbook" answer, whereas he wanted to tell me that yes it's a violation but you're not really gonna get caught. I'm heavily skeptical that VZW can tell when I'm using EasyTether or PDANet.

That said, I absolutely would not use this thing to get on XBL, and I hope I didn't flag my line for extra checking at the end of the month, because I'm still going to use it as an occasional emergency connection when I'm out on vacation or something.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon. He thanked me for asking, and said it DID violate the contract. He went further to say that the company can tell when data is being used as a dial up network, but seemed hesitant when he talked to me. I'm thinking that he was giving me the "textbook" answer, whereas he wanted to tell me that yes it's a violation but you're not really gonna get caught. I'm heavily skeptical that VZW can tell when I'm using EasyTether or PDANet.

That said, I absolutely would not use this thing to get on XBL, and I hope I didn't flag my line for extra checking at the end of the month, because I'm still going to use it as an occasional emergency connection when I'm out on vacation or something.

Actually it's very easy to tell where the traffic is coming from. They can tell what browser your using, read mac addresses, know what os your coming from, (and unless you've got an android box that screws you right there!), and by the type of traffic that flows through the connection.

Upvote 0
that's always been the general consesus..... I was just wanting someone to back up the post #2 claim that you would be dropped, charged a bunch, and everything else.... which none of that happened

It's a dubious claim (and I'm sorry IOWA but "I know a dude" is hardly conclusive evidence), but the fact of the matter is that it IS an explicit breach of contract in the case of Verizon and the last thing you want to do is raise any red flags by doing something like playing Modern Warfare 2 through the 3G network.

Upvote 0
It's a dubious claim (and I'm sorry IOWA but "I know a dude" is hardly conclusive evidence), but the fact of the matter is that it IS an explicit breach of contract in the case of Verizon and the last thing you want to do is raise any red flags by doing something like playing Modern Warfare 2 through the 3G network.

Your absolutely right. My claims certainly can't be backed up. But I stand firm none-the-less.

Upvote 0
FWIW - I never said you were wrong in what COULD happen, only that you were saying it HAD already and then expecting us to prove you right.

and we still didn't answer the OP question

Im gonna try and revive the issue of the MTU settings.
i can connect and play alright, but maybe, the MTU settings are preventing xbox live from downloading updates for games and system?
anyone have a fix? workaround?
I'm on vista, connecting my xbox to the comp, and using internet connection sharing as usual, tethered to my G1
ive already tried changing the MTU settings via CMD console but it does nothing

This wasn't an ethics question, this was a question if there is a workaround to getting updates on XBL.

I, unfortunately, do not have an answer since I don't XBL

Upvote 0
I was googling around one night to find out more about wifi tethering with PDANet and iPhone/mac/ps3 and read your discussion was getting annoyed how nobody was providing any kind of proof so here you go, I'll even provide a link to ATT's website were I got this

AT&T DataPlusSM/AT&T DataProSM Plans: DataPlus/DataPro plans may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). Data Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, Personal Computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means.

DataPlus/DataPro Plans with Tethering: DataPlus/DataPro plans with Tethering may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). DataPlus/DataPro plans with Tethering may be used to tether such smartphone and BlackBerry devices to a Personal Computer. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.

PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.

DOES THAT SATISFY YOUR ANSWER?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones