• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PDF Annotation?

Right. I doubt that Adobe will be the best bet. I'm hoping that some of the apps that have appeared for iPad will create Android apps. Given how fast the android app market has grown, I'm surprised that it's still not possible to do this... I hope it changes soon-I'm hoping to by and android tablet for exactly this purpose.

Upvote 0
I am right there with you. I am a PhD student, read most of my papers away from home, and would like to get a tablet so I do not have buy so much ink and paper.

I have been searching for weeks and can not find an App, cloud solution, or anyway to highlight a pdf on an android tablet. iPad has a lot of solutions.

I have seen some information on latex applications but have not found one that works very well.

Upvote 0
In theory both ezpdf and repligo should work. But in practice very few pdfs give permission for annotation. So basically they are a rip off.
Can't you enable annotation using Acrobat Pro on the desktop? In an academic setting it should not be all that hard to get access to the necessary software (by means of academic licensing agreements, or just the computer in the next office...). I'm interested in doing this too (thinking of getting a Nook just so I won't be carrying reams of .pdf's around) and I'd be downloading most of them to the desktop at work, via my university's library's subscription to Science Direct, etc. So it seems like it ought to just be a quick extra step, unless I'm missing something.

Upvote 0
*bump
My motorola xoom arrived today and I've been taking notes most of this year, annotating lecture slides etc. on iAnnotate on the iPad. I have to say both repligo and ezpdf are pathetic by comparison. Not only is the interface horrendously clunky, the lack of features and design are frustrating and disappointing. I'm starting to feel as though I've wasted $600 on a device that falls short purely due to the lack of app prowess. Price doesn't even come in to play as I would happily pay $20 for an app that could do what iAnnotate does for $10 on iOS. I'm holding out for iAnnotate to release an android version, sadly until then my xoom will gather dust.

Upvote 0
*bump
My motorola xoom arrived today and I've been taking notes most of this year, annotating lecture slides etc. on iAnnotate on the iPad. I have to say both repligo and ezpdf are pathetic by comparison.

All things being equal, which one would you prefer? I suppose I'm fortunate in that I've never used iAnnotate, so have no comparisons to make in that regard. I'm a writer, poet mostly, so I don't think I'd have as great a need as researchers or PhD candidates.

But thank God for tablets and laptops and notepads! I remember checking out a "portable computer" from work back in the late 80s, early 90s. Damned thing must have weighed at least 40 pounds.

Upvote 0
qPDF Notes by Qoppa Software gives the ability to markup text with graphical comments, sticky notes, text notes, text markup. You can also fill interactive PDF forms (dynamic and xfa).
As with qPDF Viewer (free), also built on Qoppa's own PDF technology, the PDF pages render quickly and accurately.
The user interface on both is quite intuitive, including continuous page view, customizable toolbar, pinch/spread zoom, and text search to jump in the document.

Upvote 0
have tried all of these apps plus a couple more that claim to allow annotations, but none work on secure PDFs, as many of my lecturers publish. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue or an app that will lift the security enough to allow annotation, really annoying that half my lectures I still have to bring stacks of printed notes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones