• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pebble Time

codesplice

Elite Recognized Moderator
Oct 29, 2013
Huntsville, AL
So who's interested in the Peeble Pebble Time? As a huge fan of the original Pebble, I was eagerly looking forward to whatever the company had queued up next. The actual announcement was a mixed bag for me though.

6fc5febd9c6278bb13ea7900d597d256_large.png

I think it's pretty shady/greedy for an established company to use Kickstarter as a platform for preorders. It reads a lot more like "Spend your money on our R&D/manufacturing so that we don't have to take that risk" rather than "Hey, we're a group of guys building our dream out of a basement, help us make this dream a reality!". That said, with almost $12M pledged in less than a week, it's clearly a successful approach for them.

The device itself though? I like that they're sticking with an always-on e-paper style display, and I'm curious to see what the color variant actually looks like in real world use. I also like that they stuck with the button-based navigation instead of hopping on the touchscreen bandwagon. The addition of a microphone for some basic voice responses and keeping with their advertised 7-day battery life are welcome news as well.

But damn, that is one ugly watch. It looks like something a child would wear. I know the original Pebble wasn't much of a looker, but (at least in black) I don't think it stood out as something quite as atrocious. I also really liked the way that the b/w display could seamlessly blend in with the black body; the Time essentially has two bezels which completely eliminates that possibility.

I do kind of like the new Timeline time-based interface, which arranges information chronologically instead of segregating it all into different applications. I'm thrilled that this new interface will (eventually) be coming to the original Pebble.

1c224e291c804c2c22add2920dd6d938_large.gif

Overall, Time seems like a nice refresh for the Pebble - an opportunity to sport some new duds and show off some neat new tricks. It's probably an upgrade that I will pass on, though - I'm still quite happy with my OG Pebble.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

I think it's pretty shady/greedy for an established company to use Kickstarter as a platform for preorders. It reads a lot more like "Spend your money on our R&D/manufacturing so that we don't have to take that risk" rather than "Hey, we're a group of guys building our dream out of a basement, help us make this dream a reality!". That said, with almost $12M pledged in less than a week, it's clearly a successful approach for them.
Seriously? I call it damn smart business tactics. They know that they've made a profit before they even built one device. They were also selling it on the kickstarter for $40 below retail. I really fail to see where the shady/greedy is here. Why would you take the risk of making something that isn't going to sell where there's a completely open platform to use to make sure there's interest? It's called reducing risk and is key to any successful business. They aren't stealing a spot from a startup, so where's the harm?

I have a Pebble, and plan on getting Pebble Time. Just wish I had been able to get in on the kickstarter.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
As I said, it's clearly a successful tactic (read: smart business tactic) that's worked smashingly for them - it just kind of rubs me wrong. That may be getting borderline into politics (or the politics of crowd-funding), so please do excused my little mini-rant. :D

I have a hard time hating on the company though... they just approved my fourth RMA request on my OG Pebble. I seem to have bad luck with screen tearing, but I'm quite impressed that they keep helping me out. I am truly impressed that they stand by their product even three years after I initially booked an early-bird slot on their first Kickstarter. That's way more commitment than I ever expected from them. I can't wait to have the Timeline on my (next) Pebble! :)

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones