1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Pen calibration?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by obi1kenobi, Nov 7, 2011.

1. obi1kenobi

obi1kenobi Lurker

Is there any pen calibration on this thing? Mine is offset a bit when i tried to write on it, iv'e tried changing the orientation from left hand to right hand but still kinda offset very annoying when your trying to write or draw something. :(

Are you guys having the same issue on your note?

2. steven68

steven68 Lurker

Yes. I'm having the same problem. Even it's just off a bit, it's very irriating not able to join my writing properly.

I called Samsung Support in Singapore, was told that there isn't any calibration software on the phone for the s-pen. I need to bring my Note to the service centre for physical checking.

How can Samsung not know about this?

3. dimipentchev

dimipentchev Lurker

Same problem here. I don't think the physical check up will change the things.

4. k9vap

k9vap Lurker

5. holgalee

holgalee Well-Known Member

6. mightymoose02

mightymoose02 Well-Known Member

Samsung needs to bring out a calibration software.

it is a bit off.

7. darkmav

darkmav Member

I had a similar problem initially, but after some prolonged usage, the offset seems to have gone away.

8. darkmav

darkmav Member

JunBringer likes this.
  9. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Lurker

Here's the solution:

Move your pen around the screen, making sure you touch all edges.
    (I've made a swirly move above the top, right, bottom and left side. Making sure the pen goes on/off screen multiple times.)

Results in my case were near-instant. Initially the pen was off-set about 3 mm. Now it is hard for me to see if there is any off-set at all. I'm guessing it's perfect.

Apparently the auto-calibration does work. Off-course it needs to detect the maximum for up/down and left/right movement before it can actually work it's magic. This also explains why it seems to get better 'over time' - you're near the edges more often and calibration adjusts accordingly.

Thank you google for pointing me to this site. Hope it helps everybody a bit. No need to send it in for a 'hardware check-up' !

tweaks, jlpatte2, nomaed and 4 others like this.
  10. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Lurker

I hope you see that pen input in the video is also lagging slightly?
    As does mine, there may be a minimal (0.05 second) additional delay, which is difficult to tell from real-life experience vs video ...

11. jjamain

jjamain Newbie

Thanks for the tips..It works for me and sharing it inside my blog...

:: Android Fever ::: How to calibrate Galaxy note S Pen

12. mehdibelabbas

mehdibelabbas Lurker

if you upadate your OS. the probleme gone. i confirm that.

13. Ziplomatic

Ziplomatic Newbie

If Auto-Rotate is enabled, the problem is gone :)
    But without that we still need a fix.

14. jjamain

jjamain Newbie

JunBringer likes this.
  15. shivshreyes

shivshreyes Lurker

Seriously, it did not work for me.
    Can you please make a video of it so that it will be helpful for all other galaxy note users.
    thank you

16. shivshreyes

shivshreyes Lurker

Seriously, it did not work for me.
    Can you please make a video of it so that it will be helpful for all other galaxy note users.
    thank you

17. Chatr

Chatr Lurker

Thank you it work for me

18. Europa76

Europa76 Newbie

I have just found this application in the Market called "TouchScreenTune" for Galaxy Note
    It'll cost you 5 bucks but it really works. You can manually calibrate the s-pen..!! Excellent

19. francton

francton Newbie

Mine has a perceptible lag (a second maybe). any way of overcoming this?

20. reverse2010

reverse2010 Lurker

Try the following:
    1. Select "Phone Icon"
    2. Enter *#0*#
    3. See "LCD Test" at top
    4. Select "S-Pen Test"

21. francton

francton Newbie

hmm.. I dont think there is a lag. I looked again closely its the offset which I mistook for a lag.

22. Flacker

Flacker Lurker

Hi!
    I have the same problem with the offset.
    I tried to check the pen with the *#0*# - method, and then I realized that my pen does not work entirely at edge of the screen. Please see the picturelink.
    I have colored all I can with the s-pen at the edges, but the at right edge you can see that it is getting "greener" (since I can't color there) the lower you get.
    At the bottom there are a BIG green gap.

Does anyone else has this? Could it be that the digitizer was glued too high on the LCD?

I can't post links or pictures apparently,
    I hope I dont brake any rules here, the picture can be found at lysnesDOTcom and is named \screenshot.png

23. jlpatte2

jlpatte2 Lurker

Thanks, this has helped a ton! I was off high by about ~1-3mm and now its right on, its amazing how much difference that makes int he perception of "connectedness" all the tests on the *#0*# number are also cool, a nice little side find!! Thanks, Josh

24. jlpatte2

jlpatte2 Lurker

BTW I just did a double check, and while the "auto cal" fixed my alignment between screen and pen, I too am seeing the same thing flacker did, with a small gap at the bottom/bottom right; I have the ATT i717 version; and I think its off by almost the exact same amount as your screen shot. Even odder, at the bottom right corner, I actually have a little round area about the size of the s-pen's tip that won't record in addition to the edges... Nothing that would ever cause me problems I think; but odd nonetheless...

25. itsrijo

itsrijo Member

try holding the pin upright while writing.....it seems to help

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews