• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi all,

I just want to confirm my understanding of how the "People" app works...so I have it sync to my Google Contacts - I don't have any contacts on the phone itself. I notice that in "All", that area corresponds to "My Contacts" on the web interface. In other words, the contacts listed under "My Contacts" on the Google Contacts web interface are who show up in "All" on my phone.

In the phone app, it lists every single contact with a phone number that's on Google. If I sync Facebook...same deal. Every single Facebook contact with a phone number listed shows up in the Phone app, but "People" only shows the contacts in the "My Contacts" area on Google Contacts - even if I "link" those contacts to the corresponding Facebook profile.

Is this the intended behavior? How can I modify the settings with this? Is it possible to merge data from Facebook into the Google contacts? For example, John Smith is in my Google Contacts with a phone number and an address listed. On Facebook, it lists his birthday. Can I somehow sync the Facebook data with Google?

Also, I use my Mac OS X Address Book as well to keep things in sync there. Can anyone explain the relationship between Google Contacts and Mac OS X Address Book? It seems like every contact showing up on my OS X address book corresponds to Google Contacts "My Contacts" area - perhaps to make it so that only contacts you want will show up there, not every single contact you have (All Contacts in Google Contacts).

Sorry...kind of hard to explain this stuff. Basically, I just want to understand how all this syncing stuff works between all these services, and how to streamline it so that I only get the data I want. I hate how Google saves every single person you contact in All Contacts, but that's another issue...if My Contacts is working how I think it works, then that is a good solution for it.

Thanks all.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones