1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

People buy Android phones but don't use them?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by MovingForward, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MovingForward

MovingForward Newbie
    None

Jul 4, 2010

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I use my phone as a PDA, and mostly over wifi.

3. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Just at first glance, that report only takes into account mobile web browsing. So it probably doesn't include the numerous apps that also make use of a data connection.

If you want a better perspective of total data usage per month:
    Nielsen: Android Data Usage Only Averages 0.6GB A Month - Do Tiered Data Plans Make Sense?

It's an olderish report, but may give you a better idea of how much data each OS is actually using versus just web browsing.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Mobile browsing is only one metric of engagement, and a vastly incomplete one that is.

A far more accurate reflection of engagement comes with measuring data usage per user, and mobile ad impressions per user. This is how you account for app usage.

And in both metrics, Android is tops.

5. pawdog

pawdog Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    The data tiers along with battery life just stop any exploration while on the data connection.

As far as web browsing, many major sites have apps that work better than browsers. I find myself going to the browser only as a last resort.

6. MovingForward

MovingForward Newbie
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Helpful feedback - thanks.

7. Lombardi

Lombardi Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    There are still a lot of people that don't really use their smart phones to their full potential. My mom has an evo and dug through her purse for 5 minutes looking for a pen¿ while her fõn was in her hand...ummm

8. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I've always been curious about that activation number. As in, I'm always curious how many of those activations are people flashing ROMs? Or hard resetting/resetting to factory defaults, that sort of thing. Surely, it probably isn't a large percentage of it. But I have reactivated my tablet 3-4 times in a given day trying to find a ROM I liked after I first rooted it. My current phone gets reactivated at least twice a week when I try a new ROM. When I was messing around with my DX and just learning about root, I must have reflashed that 4-5 times a day.

As for those numbers in the OP. It does not include the array of Android browsers. Opera Mini and the default Android browsers are only ones included. Is Opera Mini available on any other mobile platform? I know it is on Android, but does Symbian have an Opera variant?

Also, how is it collecting this data? Through the user agent is my best guess. Android browsers can hide as an iPad or iPhone, but iPhone/pads don't have an Android option. And all mobile devices can hide themselves as "desktop". So I think the numbers are diluted.

9. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    People seem to forget that as Android users we can actually change the user agent string and often do. ;)