1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

People from my contact list showing up on Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by funpig, Apr 24, 2014.

1. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast

Today, I just noticed for the first time that there is a section showing recommendations of apps, books etc from people on my contact list.

Is there anyway to turn this off? More importantly, how can i prevent myself from showing up in the play store? I find this very intrusive.

I do not have a facebook account and I have not activated google+. But i do have a google account (to get apps, for calendar, backup all contacts, but do not use gmail).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Yeah, they recently added that new "feature".

If you don't use G+, have no one in your circles and never +1'd an app you will never show up to other people. There is no way to get rid of the category on Play though.

I am not a fan of this new move, I do have an active G+ profile and use it for communities but am honestly thinking of killing it off. I just don't like the way it's getting forced on us more and more and more and more.

funkylogik and Gmash like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm not seeing this in Play. There's some G+ stuff with a "Share" button at the top right when viewing Play in a desktop browser, but that's been there for a long time. And I don't see any G+ in the Play app on my phone. I do use G+ occasionally and I do have people in my circles.

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

It's a menu option, you can see who favored what apps.

Attached Files:

5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Also the first 3 reviews are from people in your circles if they've rated the app.
    I like it. Most people I follow on g+ are in my Android circle so I trust their reviews :)

6. funpig

Sorry, what is a circle? I don't recall setting up any circle or following anybody. Is there a way to boot people out of the circle? Some of the recommended apps are coming from people on my contacts list who I have very little interaction with.

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

A circle in G+ is a category that you place people whom you follow. For instance, I have a circle that includes just family. I have another for people I follow relating to technology. It's just a way to organise your contacts. G+ chose to call it a circle.

8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Not true. A family member who uses Facebook only appeared on mine. The post is old, and it appears from the time when her phone was on my account. I never signed up for + on the account I use for Play. She no longer lives in the States and can't use the US Play store - I also think she now has a Windows phone, plus the Nokia C6 which is Symbian.
    FB name is another alias and signed up with Yahoo address.

9. funpig

Now i am more confused. I have not set up Google +, so how can i have a circle? Like i said, some of the people showing up on the play recommendations are people i have not had any communication with in years.

10. zuben el genub

Could be your contact list. If your contact uses Gmail or Play, they could show up.
    Like I said, I don't have a + account - but the one person that shows up in Share is my daughter who was on my account at one time, and also uses Gmail. I don't sync contacts with Gmail. I keep mine on the phone, Tmobile, or download the VCF files on the computer. I erased all contacts except my daughter in Gmail, and one friend who does not use Gmail and does not have a Gmail account. Therefore, some of the info must be coming from Gmail contacts with other Gmail users.
    Kid is in UK and has a Windows phone there, and a Symbian phone she uses here.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Your Google account is linked to your G+ account. Which means if you rate an app in the PlayStore, whether or not you have a G+ account, you will appear as Play Store knows your identity. You will have one of the recommendations stating "blah blah rated this app."

If you have Google+, it will link to your Google+ account even without having +1 the app.

@funpig - basically speaking, if you have a contact saved in your GMail, and he/she rates an app she will appear. If that person has a G+ account, it will link to her G+ account and it will appear on your Play Store even if you don't have an account. However, clicking on +1 or her G+ for you will only say "Sorry you don't have a G+ account, would you like to set up your profile?", or something like that. If you don't want to appear at all, never rate an app...

funkylogik likes this.
  12. funpig

Before google+, i posted some app reviews anonymously. After google+ was introduced, i chose not to activate it. I can not post any new app reviews. I cannot delete or amend the old reviews.

13. NJ Mike

NJ Mike Lurker

So what I get from all of this is if somebody has me as a Gmail contact (something I can't control), and I rate an app, it may be highlighted for them. I wonder if this has an impact on my search results. If one of my contacts has a positive or negative rating on an app or something, I don't want it to affect my searching.

Knowing this, I will never rate an app. This is just creepy. Why does my online activity have to made known to people who just may be business associates?

Gmash likes this.
  14. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

That is why I refuse to use gmail, not for email, not for contacts, nada....
    I have everything turned off in Google+
    I stay as silent on the web as I can, other than these forums with my username.

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Google Dashboard is your friend. Take control (and responsibility) for what's shared and what remains private.

16. funkylogik

Slightly off topic but what are you actually gaining from not entering the Google ecosystem?
    Like, what is it about yourself that you find so special/important to hide?
    (genuine question, honestly not a flame)

El Presidente likes this.
  17. zuben el genub

I do the same. Opt out of most of Google. I don't need it. All I need is Play store. I can get some apps on Amazon.

Brought up to mind my own business, and I expect everyone else to mind theirs.
    I won't accept local ads. I dislike this town and won't support it beyond property and basic taxes.

Google is a poor substitute for Palm for reference apps. All I want is my reference apps which I purchase. A lot of the Palm apps went to iOS. I like Apple even less.

18. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I just simply do not want my personal life on the internet, raised in a rural area where you "mind your own business" and stay out of other's.

It is my option, and it don't hurt anyone else. Hasn't impeded me in doing what I like to do so far in 72 years.

Gmash likes this.
  19. mikedt

mikedt 你好

TBH, I don't think that writing something like "This app sucks!" in Google play is really putting your life on the internet.

chanchan05 and funkylogik like this.
  20. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

I was really surprised to see a neighbour who lives a few doors down the street from me appear on the people section of Google play the other day. We swapped phone numbers one evening after a drunk driver crashed into our parked cars. Few months later I see him pop up on the play store. I was confused at first as to why I was seeing him but then realised his number is backed up in my Google contacts.

21. zuben el genub

Doesn't even have to be contacts. I don't sync mine. I've deleted all contacts out of GMail. The one contact who keeps reappearing in Play and Mail uses GMail. She lives in the UK. I wouldn't want phone number anywhere near Google.
    A lot of apps say they have permission for phone book, and may cost you money. Most are usually OK, but who can predict when a true rogue app would use international numbers?

22. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

I think it's sad that simply backing up your contacts allows Google to muck around in your contact list and steal your information. Even sadder that people think it's ok and even defend Google for it. Wake up.

23. funkylogik

I just don't see a problem in people I know (or know online) seeing how I feel about an app or me seeing their review.
    In fact it helps make a decision on buying an app if someone I respect has given a good review.
    It's not as if the app tells people my penis size, voting preference or address :thumbsupdroid:

24. zuben el genub

You'd be surprised at what can be deduced from innocent posts like a rating. That's a shame as leaving reviews does help others.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...howing-anonymous-data-not-all-anonymous.shtml. The problem with this is not marketing or even government snooping. It can lead to identity theft and personalized pricing. I can't find the article, but there was one article written about a site that showed different prices for an item by your location.

I hope the last paragraph is true.