• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help People vs. Contacts

winky

Dec 9, 2009
Hi. I don't understand why my Google Contacts are not being displayed in my Phone or Email apps. When I try to call or email someone whose info is in the phone, and it doesn't show up, I go to the People App and have to hit "add to contacts". Here's where I'm confused. In People I have only Google contacts to be displayed. Also, I use MyPhoneExplorer to sync my Phone contacts and Outlook contacts. MPE is set to store contacts in Google contacts, and I know they're all getting in there based on the MPE dialogue.

However, not all the synced contacts are showing up in the People App and all the contacts in the People App are not showing up in email/phone.

Help?

Hi. I don't understand why my Google Contacts are not being displayed in my Phone or Email apps. When I try to call or email someone whose info is in the phone, and it doesn't show up, I go to the People App and have to hit "add to contacts". Here's where I'm confused. In People I have only Google contacts to be displayed. Also, I use MyPhoneExplorer to sync my Phone contacts and Outlook contacts. MPE is set to store contacts in Google contacts, and I know they're all getting in there based on the MPE dialogue.

However, not all the synced contacts are showing up in the People App and all the contacts in the People App are not showing up in email/phone.

Help?

Hello (again ;)) winky. I remember your concerns with that syncing issue back in your Hero days. ;)

From Verizon's sync support page (let us know if you're with another carrier):

Gmail Synchronization - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA
From a Home screen, select Apps (located in the lower center).
Select Settings.
Select Accounts & sync.
Select the appropriate Gmail account.
Select any of the following:
Enabled when a blue indicator is present.
To enable auto-synchronization, navigate Apps > Settings > Data manager then select Background data (enabled when a blue indicator is present).
Sync Browser
Sync Calendar
Sync Contacts
Sync Gmail
Sync Google Photos
Sync Google Play Books
Select Menu.
Select Sync now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, Frisco. That's actually not my problem. The contacts are synced and are in my phone's memory. They are all in the People App. What is happening is that they are not transferring over to my Phone App or Email App. I have to open the People App and as I open each contact individually there is an option to "Add to Contacts". So, they are in my phone, just not showing up in the Phone App.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Similar problem... When I text, the name or photo doesn't appear on their screen. When I receive a text I only receive their phone number, no name.

Got to be a simple solution to know who is sending you a text. I don't remember phone numbers.

Somebody tell me I'm missing something that's obvious.

My phone and my wifes phone do this.
(Likely because I set up both phones. :eek:)

Upvote 0
I thought of another way to possibly make this issue more clear. When I open the People App then open up a specific person's info, on the bottom there is a button that says "Add to Contacts" What does this mean? What am I adding this person to when I hit that button? Why isn't everyone automatically "Added to Contacts"?

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue with some of my contacts as well after the JB update. When I receive calls from some people in my contact list, it shows up as "unkown" even though I have their number under their name in the contacts. Any clues?

The thing is that JB wants to work with the People app. Put all of your contacts there, it works on e-mail, text, phone ect...
(I used to use Contacts too, but now It's People.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones