• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help People widget - alternative actions?

cookie365

May 19, 2011
Just got my Wildfire S - first smartphone - and am loving it :)

I've added some contacts to the People Widget and set a default action - but I can't figure out how to choose an alternative action - e.g. call someone whose default action is to send a message.

Any ideas?

Thank :)

Hi, if you make sure to click the name of contact (below pic) in widget it will still just open the contact so you can just call them. I think you have a newer version of sense so i am guessing this still works. Again, if you click the pic/default pic you will do the default you set, click the name to open contact for the other options

Upvote 0
The People widget comes large and small - here's my wife's strategy with hers:

She uses the tall, narrow widget and sets everyone's primary action to their contact card.

Then, in the space left over on that page, she has a shortcut for each of the hot number she just wants to be able to press and ring immediately. (Long press blank space, select Shortcuts, Contacts, follow your nose.)

~~~~

My solution - don't bother with People - I use Google Gesture Search, free in the Market.

Use your finger like a crayon, draw the first letter or two of the name of interest on the screen - it populates a scrollable list immediately and filters as you scribble letters.

Tap the green phone icon to the left of the name to immediately call, tap the name to get the contact card to select other actions.

Not as sexy as People with pictures, but greased lightning for long lists.

~~~~~

My wife also uses Gesture Search, and limits her People list to just the dozen or two she wants there.

Both of us are using Sense.

~~~~

Between this and NightAngel's advice (I didn't know that part myself!) - hope this helps! :)

Reactions: cookie365
Upvote 0
Hi, if you make sure to click the name of contact (below pic) in widget it will still just open the contact so you can just call them. I think you have a newer version of sense so i am guessing this still works. Again, if you click the pic/default pic you will do the default you set, click the name to open contact for the other options
Ah, yes, that works. You don't get much room for error though, it's easy to tap the pic by mistake - I need to get practicising :eek:

The People widget comes large and small - here's my wife's strategy with hers:

She uses the tall, narrow widget and sets everyone's primary action to their contact card.

Then, in the space left over on that page, she has a shortcut for each of the hot number she just wants to be able to press and ring immediately. (Long press blank space, select Shortcuts, Contacts, follow your nose.)

~~~~

My solution - don't bother with People - I use Google Gesture Search, free in the Market.

Use your finger like a crayon, draw the first letter or two of the name of interest on the screen - it populates a scrollable list immediately and filters as you scribble letters.

Tap the green phone icon to the left of the name to immediately call, tap the name to get the contact card to select other actions.

Not as sexy as People with pictures, but greased lightning for long lists.

~~~~~

My wife also uses Gesture Search, and limits her People list to just the dozen or two she wants there.

Both of us are using Sense.

~~~~

Between this and NightAngel's advice (I didn't know that part myself!) - hope this helps! :)
Fantastic :) I'm going to try NightAngel's solution first, and if I can't get my fingers trained to press the right bit of the screen I'll try the Gesture option.

Glad I found this forum :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones