• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

People will believe anything...

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
Or maybe it’s just like Ernie said, “I’ll believe anything if there’s a steady paycheck.”

8EAF3D91-B618-4090-A70E-459A5CE814D3.jpeg

It's funny if you look at the assumptions behind this though.

The proposal is that there are extraterrestrial intelligences, capable of crossing interstellar space (which means either physics we know nothing of or taking centuries, millenia or more), and who on arriving at the Earth spend the time needed to understand the biochemical basis of a biosphere that is completely alien to them in sufficient detail that they can engineer the organisms they find there. And what justifies this immense effort, beyond anything we could dream of doing even if we devoted the entire resources of our planet to achieving this? Apparently the collection of a quantity of a metal with no noteworthy properties except a resistance to oxidation and good electrical conductivity.

It's the mismatch between the capabilities required and the extremely mundane objective, and the idea that entities with these capabilities would for some reason regard gold in the same way that a stereotypical miser or bank robber does, that has me shaking my head. Not to mention the fact that any race so capable could doubtless obtain all of the gold it wanted far more simply.

I showed this proposal to my friend William of Occam. That slight vibration you can feel is him spinning in his grave a little faster...

Upvote 0
It's funny if you look at the assumptions behind this though.

The proposal is that there are extraterrestrial intelligences, capable of crossing interstellar space (which means either physics we know nothing of or taking centuries, millenia or more), and who on arriving at the Earth spend the time needed to understand the biochemical basis of a biosphere that is completely alien to them in sufficient detail that they can engineer the organisms they find there. And what justifies this immense effort, beyond anything we could dream of doing even if we devoted the entire resources of our planet to achieving this? Apparently the collection of a quantity of a metal with no noteworthy properties except a resistance to oxidation and good electrical conductivity.

It's the mismatch between the capabilities required and the extremely mundane objective, and the idea that entities with these capabilities would for some reason regard gold in the same way that a stereotypical miser or bank robber does, that has me shaking my head. Not to mention the fact that any race so capable could doubtless obtain all of the gold it wanted far more simply.

I showed this proposal to my friend William of Occam. That slight vibration you can feel is him spinning in his grave a little faster...
If we are all intelligent, then why we squander ammunition against our own kids?

Upvote 0
If we are all intelligent, then why we squander ammunition against our own kids?
Amazing as it might seem, that's small change on the scale of human stupidity when you compare it to the damage we do to the climate and ecosystem, or even the adherence to political and economic models where an ever larger fraction of resources go to an ever smaller fraction of the population.

Trust me, I never said that humans were intelligent.

Upvote 0
Showing a degree may not mean much: an awful lot of British politicians have had degrees in Politics, Philosophy and Economics yet showed a woeful lack of understanding of any of those things. ;)
True but getting tired of the "Are you an engineer, can I trust you?" type cliche, come now, it is so worn out.

Upvote 0
I just read that at an Australian 5g/anti-vaxx/covid conspriacist rally (equally nutty as flat Earth, and equally incoherent) one speaker asked people to put their hands up if they had died of flu...

@Hadron I know everyone in the UK, and other places, has been subject to repeated lockdowns and curfews, and so they'll spend a lot more time stuck at home looking at things on the interwebs.

I had a phone call with my dad in Bristol last week, he was asking me, "What did I think of David Icke?", so I just told him, please ignore that stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones