1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

People will believe anything...

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by rootabaga, Aug 7, 2019.

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Enthusiast

Or maybe it’s just like Ernie said, “I’ll believe anything if there’s a steady paycheck.”

8EAF3D91-B618-4090-A70E-459A5CE814D3.jpeg

2. sn514737

sn514737 Lurker

Resolver o problema

3. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Of course, people have always been gulliable, if you bluff to them so much, people might think out of contact.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's funny if you look at the assumptions behind this though.

The proposal is that there are extraterrestrial intelligences, capable of crossing interstellar space (which means either physics we know nothing of or taking centuries, millenia or more), and who on arriving at the Earth spend the time needed to understand the biochemical basis of a biosphere that is completely alien to them in sufficient detail that they can engineer the organisms they find there. And what justifies this immense effort, beyond anything we could dream of doing even if we devoted the entire resources of our planet to achieving this? Apparently the collection of a quantity of a metal with no noteworthy properties except a resistance to oxidation and good electrical conductivity.

It's the mismatch between the capabilities required and the extremely mundane objective, and the idea that entities with these capabilities would for some reason regard gold in the same way that a stereotypical miser or bank robber does, that has me shaking my head. Not to mention the fact that any race so capable could doubtless obtain all of the gold it wanted far more simply.

I showed this proposal to my friend William of Occam. That slight vibration you can feel is him spinning in his grave a little faster...

5. Milo Willamson

If we are all intelligent, then why we squander ammunition against our own kids?

6. Hadron

VIP Member

Amazing as it might seem, that's small change on the scale of human stupidity when you compare it to the damage we do to the climate and ecosystem, or even the adherence to political and economic models where an ever larger fraction of resources go to an ever smaller fraction of the population.

Trust me, I never said that humans were intelligent.

7. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

What would Erich Von Daniken have to say?

8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

If any of it was real, then there must be a use for gold that we have not discovered yet.

MrJavi likes this.
  9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Our exterterrestrial robotic overlords will be made of gold like Gort from the documentary "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951).

PitCarver likes this.
  10. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

So the human race is harvesting gold for aliens...
    Rotflmao

11. Milo Willamson

All the people proclaiming "Trust me I am an engineer" all of a sudden just show us their degree.
    Either that or try to outwit one another.

12. Hadron

VIP Member

Showing a degree may not mean much: an awful lot of British politicians have had degrees in Politics, Philosophy and Economics yet showed a woeful lack of understanding of any of those things. ;)

Davdi, dontpanicbobby and Dannydet like this.
  13. Milo Willamson

True but getting tired of the "Are you an engineer, can I trust you?" type cliche, come now, it is so worn out.

14. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I came to an agreement with the ants in my neighborhood to mine gold for me in exchange for stop stomping on their homes.
    I should get my first .001 gram any year now.
    Except for building Gorts the alien theory doesn't make sense.

Hadron likes this.
  15. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

This almost makes the flat earth belief seem sensible. For clarification, it's not.

16. Milo Willamson

I just got fooled by "if you turn this bird upside down" joke. "People will buy anything."

17. Hadron

VIP Member

Yes. Actually I can see no conceptual reason why you can't have sentience without intelligence, or intelligence without sentience.

18. Milo Willamson

Qualms are setting up for a retro view, and yet it is feeling that are passive then :)

19. Hadron

VIP Member

I just read that at an Australian 5g/anti-vaxx/covid conspriacist rally (equally nutty as flat Earth, and equally incoherent) one speaker asked people to put their hands up if they had died of flu...

dontpanicbobby likes this.