• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Perks of rooting

lewis584

Lurker
Jul 9, 2010
Hi guys, first post so go easy :p

Been using Android for a good while now. Was using the HTC Magic for about a year before upgrading to my HTC Desire in April.

Now, I've done a bit of reading, and very nearly went down the rooting process with my Magic but never did, and once again I've found myself looking into the possibilities.

Since I'm using the Desire I'm running 2.1 (I believe)... Simple question, is it worth rooting to 2.2?

What REAL perks will I get, and would I get pretty much the same experience if I helf off for the offical update to 2.2?

Thanks in advance!

The big advantage of rooting to 2.2 is that you'll get it now. God knows how long HTC will take to roll out 2.2 oficially. I know there have been some semi-official comments about it being in the next couple of few months, but HTC have renaged on these updates before (see the Hero debacle)

Another possible advantage, and the big reason that many, if not most people, root is apps2SD. The official 2.2 will only support it if the apps themselves on the market do, but I think that the unofficial custom rom may enable it for any app, although you may want to verify that as I haven't done any real investigating of the latest 2.2 roms.

Upvote 0
Could somebody clarify the terminology for me? I thought "rooting" was essentially just getting full admin rights to your phone and that installing a different rom was usually referred to as "flashing"...

Correct. Rooting enables 'root' access, since Android is built on Linux. One of the things this enables you to do, among others, is replace the ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones