1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Perma-bricked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by argentwarrior20, Feb 25, 2016.

1. argentwarrior20

None

Sep 20, 2014
    Alright, my girlfriend gave me her Volt and said if I could unbrick it, I could have it. She had rooted it, but then her phone tried to update OTA and it's in a (stock) recovery boot loop. Immediately upon boot, it goes to recovery, sits there for under a second, and promptly reboots. Can't get to download mode, can't use fastboot to wipe cache, can't do anything. This phone was completely stock, except for root and a couple Xposed modules. I *told* her to flash CWM and get off the stock ROM immediately but noooooooo, that's too complicated.

So, anyway. Is it f*cked or...? I'm not a noob. I've been using rooted Android for years. I just lack the experience with LG's particular brand of Apple-ism (always used Motorola and Samsung).
    I have a Mac and a Linux PC available, and if necessary a Wangblows 7 VM.

Advertisement

2. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    First, you do not want CWM. The only recovery we have that's working is TWRP. If it still had stock recovery and only had SuperSU and a couple Xposed modules, I'm surprised the update bricked it at all, let alone this severely. If you used kingroot or something, or had CWM installed that's a different story.

As for fixing this mess you've made, try option 2 in this post using the TWRP image from here (see the All Things Root guide). If course, this is assuming you can get it into adb mode. Using a virtual machine is not recommended.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2449670

With a working recovery installed you should be able to install a ROM.

Your girlfriend was probably reluctant to mess with the phone more than she needed to, and there's nothing wrong with the stock ROM for an average user.

HasH_BrowN and dvdavid888 like this.
Tags: