1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Permanent Airplane Mode for Tablet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DillontheVillan, Jun 14, 2018.

1. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    I am a Computer Support Analyst Vetran who is new to Rooting on mobile devices. I cannot find much information on how to permanently disable the bluetooth and wireless on my Samsung Galaxy S2 8" tablets. I have 50 of them.
    Is rooting the way to go? Does anybody have any tips? These tablets are to be used in the field in a high security zone and cannot have the radios activated.

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    So how do you get the info from the tablets? Does everyone bring them in and you offload stuff to a central computer?

3. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    Yes that's right. We load all of the conventional apps and some mapping apps and sideload the updates by means of a memory stick

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
  5. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback, we are using MobiControl MDM but cannot apply this to tablets because we are disabling radios and MobiControl depends on the device not being in Airplane mode. I may have to root these devices but this is a whole other area of expertise for me. We are not in the habit of tampering with purchased assets but if there is a clear advantage, then that's the way I will go.

6. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    Incidentally, Samsung wrote back to me after I suggested the removal of the radio modules from the motherboard. They wrote, 'if you try to remove the WiFi module from the device, it would affect the functionality of the tablet and would lead to permanent damage of the System Board.

7. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Give some thought into re-thinking your approach to managing all those tablets. Depending on how you distribute those tablets to the staff, handing out a rooted device out can be a dangerous practice, even when you think they have been locked down.
    https://insights.samsung.com/2015/1...e-safe-the-security-risks-of-rooting-devices/
    It might be less cumbersome to leave the wireless connectivity as is for management purposes, and instead lock down any general user access to WiFi/mobile data/Bluetooth.

8. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    thanks for that SVIM I'll be sure to read up on that tomorrow.

9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Just as an aside, that does sound like a very, very daunting project to remove any chip from those 50 motherboards. To keep things more compact sockets are pretty rare in any tablet so to remove the radio chips won't involve just 'unplugging' multiple chips (WiFi, cellular, Bluetooth), they're typically soldered to the motherboard. So it involves a lot of disassembly/reassembly of each tablet and some skilled staff to safely un-solder the specific chips involved. This is just an example of extracting the mobos (it's for a Tab S2 9.7" model, iFixit doesn't show a mobo page of the 8"):
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Tab+S2+9.7+SM-T813+Motherboard+Replacement/108101

10. DillontheVillan

None

Jun 14, 2018
    That was a good read, for us I think the security issues will be minimal since the tablets don't use any comms features.
    I don't like the idea of rooting the tablets but I can't fathom why password protecting airplane mode is such an issue.
    It just doesn't exist through conventional software!

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet

Looking for the Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone? Click Here!