1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Permanently changing default browser UAstring (User Agent)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dandonnelly, May 28, 2011.

1. dandonnelly

dandonnelly Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    Hi there,

Anyone know of an edited .apk file or any way to change the UAstring within the default browser to be permanent. Don't like having to enter 'about:useragent' everytime I browse the internet.

Before anyone suggests: I am more happy with the default browser than anything else so I don't want to change and I hate using the mobile sites that come up sometimes by default when using the internet.

If there is a way to change the UAstring in the browser to desktop, then there should be a way of doing it permanently by editing some thing on the phone.

Any help appreciated

:)

[​IMG]

Dan D​

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Hmmm. This works on an HTC and many others - goto an active web site (any one will do), use about:debug, scroll down, turn off java console output, set UAString that way. Stays permanent. Also - about:config seems to work where about:debug does not.

Hoping this is based on Webkit, rather than vendor-specific, and will help you.

3. dandonnelly

dandonnelly Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    The UAstring setting can only be accessed by entering about:useragent and when you enter about:debug it only adds extra functionality to the settings menu within the browser but not uastring settings. i therefore always get a reset to default when closing the browser or rebooting :(

4. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    yep, im having to use dolphin when I want full sites, e.g. facebook. Which is ok but not ideal.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Yeap - some browsers' extra settings include UAString via about:debug. Try about:config then because it's known others respond to that when about:debug doesn't include it - expect same expanded settings menu, but with UAString accessible. All I'm hoping is that one path to solution will get to the config save by virtue of common code, however they've done that. Maybe worth one more shot.

6. dandonnelly

dandonnelly Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    Unfortunately neither of those bring up UAstring settings. The only way to do it is to type about:useragent and select desktop from the popup menu. Which of course resets after closing and ram freeing or reboot.

looks like I'll have to wait for someone to edit the apk :(

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Bummer if that's your stock browser - from what I've seen (from afar, waiting on US SGS2) that pup's pretty nice.

Making this next suggestion far from ideal if that's your nice browser - try also Dolphin or Firefox for example - maybe if those retain their UAString, you could fall back on whichever works best for your web-specific pages (such as may require a desktop UA, for example).

You had a duplicate post in the root section here - we deleted that as a matter of policy.

I'm going to move this to that forum - my phone's rooted, maybe that has something to do with it working for me - hey - can't hurt.

I understand the frustration - setting a UAString that frees you from the tyranny of sites that discriminate mobile users is just the right thing to do, imo.

PS, most important part: Welcome to the forums!