1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Permanently delete a file on internal / SD card storage?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by czissman, Jul 6, 2011.

1. czissman

czissman Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Hi...

Is there an app that will permanently delete a single file on an Android phone's internal storage and/or SD card so that it's not recoverable? I have a file that contains personal data and I want to delete it, but I want to do so in a manner that will keep anyone who finds (or steals) my phone from being able to recover it.

Also, does Android have the equivalent concept to the Windows Trash where files are temporarily stored until permanently deleted? If so, where is this?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Astro File Manager can be used to delete files. Since both the internal memory and the sd card are flash memory, there is no residual data once a file is deleted, unlike hard drives.

3. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
  4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    (I think) it depends on the flash mem controller. Some will mark for deletion, some will mark available to overwrite.

You can recover data theoretically (like a magnetic drive), but Flash drives do work a bit differently.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it, Anandtech has a few great write-ups on SSDs. In the articles they talk a lot about how Flash memory works (same basic tech behind SDcards).

AnandTech - The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

Basically I think the app would have to overwrite the block and/or page. And Android (java) apps aren't generally given access to that kind of low level disk IO (as far as I know).