• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Permanently disable one Bluetooth device from re-connecting

Viridel

Lurker
Sep 20, 2022
I have an extremely specific use-case. I work for a rideshare company, and I have Buick Intellilink for on-dash nav capability (which is awesome). I just have to plug the phone in. BT automatically pairs when the phone is directly connected. The problem is that because the car is turned off & on so frequently, every ~5th connection to intellilink essentially freezes the BT audio, meaning when a call comes in, the car recognizes it, but can't initialize the audio. The 'rebooting' process is time consuming since the car has to be turned off long enough to sever the connection completely, and the phone needs to be rebooted - meaning I lose the ability to take a call, costing me a fare.

I purchased a BT speaker with 2-way communication, and it works wonderfully......... but only when the phone isn't plugged in to Intellilink, which overrides the external connection.

What I would like to do is permanently block BT to Intellilink so that it *can't even try* to connect, thereby leaving my external speaker as the only valid BT connection. It doesn't appear this is an option in any version of android, but is there an app or other option that would allow me to system-level block a BT connection to a certain address?

I don't know what phone or tablet you've got there, but in Settings > Bluetooth, it should have a list of all the BT devices that its paired with and can automatically connect to, along with an option to unpair. e.g. this "Buick Intellilink". Once that BT device is unpaired, the only way it can connect again, is to manually go into pairing mode for it

This is from my Samsung Note20, but other devices will have something similar.
Screenshot_20220921-061321_Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I don't know what phone or tablet you've got there, but in Settings > Bluetooth, it should have a list of all the BT devices that its paired with and can automatically connect to, along with an option to unpair. e.g. this "Buick Intellilink". Once that BT device is unpaired, the only way it can connect again, is to manually go into pairing mode for it

Unfortunately that's not the case in this scenario, based on my statements of "BT automatically pairs when the phone is directly connected." and "...when the phone isn't plugged in to Intellilink, which overrides the external connection."

So I need something that would block the phone from even allowing intellilink to establish the link.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that's not the case in this scenario, based on my statements of "BT automatically pairs when the phone is directly connected." and "...when the phone isn't plugged in to Intellilink, which overrides the external connection."

So I need something that would block the phone from even allowing intellilink to establish the link.

This is something I'm not familiar with, and the only BT automatic pairing I've seen is when one scans an NFC tag on BT headphones or speakers.

As @Dannydet suggested, maybe it could be done with the Tasker, Automate, or Macrodroid apps?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
You should be able to remove the device in the Intellilink Bluetooth settings. I am not familiar with that exact system, but on my Chevrolet system that should be at least similar, you can completely remove previously paired BT devices.

"BT automatically pairs when the phone is directly connected." - and no, it can't be removed. It says to modify BT settings, unplug the phone. And as my prior statement says, when it's plugged back in, it automatically re-pairs.

I ended up picking up a surprisingly mint condition Samsung A01 for $100CAD (~$75USD). Since it has Android10, AAuto is pre-installed in the OS, and I've hot-spotted it to my main phone. Because that phone is plugged in and not my main phone, the car only acknowledges that device in bluetooth (even though it has no sim card), meaning I still have to use my portable phone-capable speaker, which is unfortunate, but the only seemingly reliable solution at the moment.

Basically it's the dumbest solution possible, but still the one that seemingly works best. Now I just need an app that will 'ping' the portable speaker every ~10 mins to keep that connection active and prevent the speaker from turning itself off due to inactivity. Any ideas there? I searched the play store for 'Bluetooth ping' and only got signal strength meters, and a google search wasn't any help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones